• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pedal Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trmptkid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Started SA last week, My pedals are fine down to C#. when i try the C I'm at least a fifth away. Is this normal?

Also, when doing part II of lesson 1 i can only get up to E above high C and then it feels like my chops just stop working, but not because they're tired. Any thoughts?

Thanks
DAVE
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

>Pedal C will probably be extremely weird at first with time though it will get closer and closer until it becomes easy to play like the rest of them.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 25 years of doing these type of exercises, I still allow my Pedal C to go a bit flat (though I can pull it into pitch in the proper way - with the air, not by tightening my lips and doing wierd things with them). But there is no reason to make the Pedal C right in pitch (it's not like I'm playing the notes in a performance situation). Better to let them be a bit flat, but full and relaxed.

Always remember, the Part 2 Exercises are not about strength-building. Try to stay as relaxed as possible and don't blow too hard going up. And start each arpeggio very easy and soft, getting slightly stronger as you go up. These Part 2 exercises are about finding the FEEL for the higher notes. Just go as high as you can comfortably go each day. As Claude always said, the development you get from these exercises isn't a result of those last few arpeggios you manage to do each day - the improvement comes from the playing of the arpeggios on the way up to your highest notes. Don't be impatient. Progress comes to all who stick with these exercises.

Enjoy your trumpet!

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: