• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fantaisie in mi bemol

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert8985

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, i am playing a french piece for a competition coming up in February. My lessons teacher advised me not to play something well known to all the judges, i.e. the haydn or hummel concertos, or something along those lines. Rather, he gave a piece that he played for his senior recital in college. it is by J. Ed. Barat and is called "Fantaisie in mi Bemol" bemol means "flat" If anyone has a recording of this piece or can give me some advice on this i would appreciate any help possible.
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

While I don't want to contradict your teacher's advice, as he obviously knows your playing better than I do, and I don't know what kind of competition that your are entering, I don't understand the whole mindset of NOT performing Haydn and Hummel because everybody knows them.

There is a good reason why everyone knows the Haydn and Hummel....they are GREAT concerti!! They are, without a doubt, the most pivotal and IMPORTANT concerti in our repertoire. I think that it would be to your advantage that judges 'know' the music you are playing. The reason why Haydn & Hummel don't win competitions is not because of the music itself. Most often trumpet players today just go the the motions of playing these works. Don't just play the Haydn or Hummel, PERFORM it. If you study the perfomance techniques from the classical era, and give an accurate and appropriate performance of either of these concerti, they can be very effective works for competitions.

Keep in mind, both of these concerti are asked on almost ALL orchestral audtions and major solo competitions. You might as well start learning them as soon as you can.

So not as to ignore the question you actually asked, the Barat Fantasie is a very nice piece and if you play it well should serve its purpose. I can't off the top of my head think of a recording, but will keep my eyes peeled for one.

Best of luck!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: