• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

$6 Gas!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: $6 Gas!!! Reply with quote

BigBadWolf wrote:

Stockbridge, GA

http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/0901KatrinaGasPrices01-ON.html

Yup, all kinds of crazy $hit was going on down here last week. Some stations would cover up the regular which would then force you to use the premium, then when the premium was gone they'd remove the covers on the regular.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
Miles58
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH wrote:

Yes, this is all probably true and I can easily see the vicious cycle...tremendous inflation on the horizon, big increases in prices of everything and big increases in the cost of living, wages remaining stagnant or even declining, more people losing jobs, disappearance of the middle class, governments at all levels looking for more and higher taxes, etc. etc. etc.

What happens next? Should everyone just shoot themselves and get it over with or what?

It won't be long before the USA can be named among third world countries.

Do I hear the sound of a giant "toilet flushing???"

Notice that the article below was written before the hurricane struck:

Quote:
Preparations and policies for petrocollapse and climate distortion
Written by Jan Lundberg
Culture Change Letter #104 - July 8, 2005

Welcome to Plan B
The determination to explore and act on the impacts of peak oil and climate change is a big start toward lessening damage to countless lives and our fragile ecosystem. There are some key areas to concentrate on, notably food supply and transport. But one mustn't think this is all up to government officials. Individuals and households, and then neighborhood communities, need to take matters into their hands now to prepare for major upheaval ahead and to build a sustainable society.

Without going into the rationale for peak oil and collapse, it may be enough to assume that there is only one exit from today's gross overdependence on petroleum and the supply crisis about to hit: "demand-destruction."

It is too late for minor reforms that have paradoxically ended up adding to growth in consumption because of the effects of efficiencies broadly applied. Most peak oil analysts worth their salt hope that the "technofix" is getting to be a less and less populated refuge for those who think about what might replace petroleum.

If petroleum is the opiate of the people, as Karl Marx said about religion, what will replace the current opiate? Perhaps nothing but raw nature. Another way of putting it is that the "religion" of science and technology, along with modern society itself, may become history. If that is true, there is no point imagining a high-tech tomorrow where modern living becomes somehow refined by new ways of exploiting resources. Rather, it is time to deal with the here and now before the present becomes no more than a past serving as a stone around our necks. And why not start building better lives now?...

http://www.culturechange.org/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=2
Annie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone wonder if horse and buggies will become popular soon?

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annie wrote:

Only in Pennsylvania
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it...

What I think will happen is that people will re-allocate or revise their spending patterns and habits so that more money will go into the gas tank of the big SUV or whatever other gas guzzler they may have at the moment, and less money will go to other uses. Simply a redistribution of income and revision of spending patterns.

This will probably cause some economic problems in other areas as consumer spending habits and patterns change accordingly.

But, I do not believe that there will be any significant mass movement away from existing transportation behaviors or types of vehicles. I do, as I and others are mentioning above, believe that some of the most severe economic and social problems ever in history involving the USA are just up around the bend...
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read an article that the entire deal that caused all this trouble was a hoax. Here are the highest priced gas stations in the State of Georgia. The station that originally had the photos taken ran out of gas that day and a store employee put the higher prices up as a gag (that turned out to be not very funny).

3.50 Exxon Glennville
3.49 Clyde's Market Pooler
3.49 Kim-Kim Mart Reidsville
3.49 El Cheapo Reidsville
3.49 Clyde's Reidsville
3.49 BP Reidsville
3.49 BP Savannah
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annie wrote:

It is possible - I am actually thinking of putting some material round my feet and patenting the idea - I have this crazy name for them ("shoos") and whilst wearing them you can undertake an activity known as "walking" - you put one foot in fron ot another, then repeat, putting the foot currently behind the left, in front of it.
It might be a little revolutionary, but I have a feeling it could become popular.
Annie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetmike wrote:
Annie wrote:

It is possible - I am actually thinking of putting some material round my feet and patenting the idea - I have this crazy name for them ("shoos") and whilst wearing them you can undertake an activity known as "walking" - you put one foot in fron ot another, then repeat, putting the foot currently behind the left, in front of it.
It might be a little revolutionary, but I have a feeling it could become popular.

LOL, I totally support the idea. I'm actually spending some time walking rather than driving around campus and such - I'm literally saving a buck by walking rather than driving. Gas, even in little old Frostburg, is up to about 3.65 per gallon at the Exxon, but still only 3.19 at the local BP.

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*
BoisselleJP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUUUUUUDE!!! THAT"S AMAZING!!! How could you ever think up something like that!! I think I'm going to race you to the patent office!
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this cool piece of metal with wheels on each end. When I move my feet a little chain causes the back wheel to spin, thus I move forward. If I use my back pack I can ride to the store. As long as I don't buy anything that needs to be chilled real fast it should work pretty well.

As a side effect I might lose a little weight off this fat body of mine!

Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
Jazzy_Mike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetmike wrote:

Mike, I live about 20KM from city limits and it's about 25Km from my house to town/work/and school, will your revolutionary product be able to help me?

Conn Vintage 1 1BR-SP
Holton ST 308 "Maynard Ferguson"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: