• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Orchestral Play-Along

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting article on the benefits of playing along with orchestral works can be found in the latest edition of The Brass Tacks:

http://www.musicforbrass.com/brstacks/vol24/vol24a.html

Playing along -- it ain't just for jazz! - Don
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the conductor doesn't give you a hard time.
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but he doesn't stop when you totally miss it, either!
OTOH, "rewind" is suuuccchhh a nice thing to have... Wish I could have used it on my last audition!
LOL -- Take care, Walter! - Don
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if there are any guest or is it guess artists listed?

After this, you don't think that one would put such a thing (I played with ....) on his resume do you? Nah!!

Be positive Liad and straighten up. You sound like you have not had your Wheat Grass Juice today.

Liad

[ This Message was edited by: Liad Bar-EL on 2002-10-22 09:41 ]
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I actually inaugurated an art gallery in Paris with a quintett minus one CD backing me up; actually quite a challenge to keep up with your virtual colleagues!

The Norwegian version of WGJ would be Cod Liver Oil, I presume (...off to my daily spoonful of the lemon scented one - great innovation, that lemon).

Pierre.
_Don Herman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liad,

The article discusses playing along with any orchestral record/works/artists, just as you would Aebersold or Music-Minus-One, to help learn timing, intonation, timbre, all the usual stuff -- and give you a chance to play along with some of the greatest. Given your "feelings" post, I should also note it's a great way to see how the great symhonic players put feeling into the pieces, and to give you an idea of what feelings to put into it yourself. The Phil Smith CD shows he spends quite a bit of time figuring out the context -- emotionally and musically (is there a difference?) -- of the works he plays.

HTH - Don
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Don you're right.

I have accessed that article and I do have the Aebersold and Music-Minus-One play along CD's.

I have found that the tempo in MMO CD's is rather fast however.

Anyway, you made a great reference and an excellent post.

Thanks,

Liad
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 4 years ago I was playing a concert which started with a kick-a** rendition of Berlioz' Roman Carnival Overture. As you may know, it uses 2 trumpets & 2 cornets. After we finished, the next piece was a Beethoven Symphony, requiring only 2 trumpets, so 2 players left the stage. The two of us left on stage decided to move over a few seats to better see the conductor.

We were only a few moments into the 2nd movement when I heard a buzzing from a Klieg light above the stage. Seconds later, the iron focus section of the light fell to the stage, smashing into the seats and one of the stands where we had been only a few minutes before. The noise of the falling fixture and music stand were cacophonous, and the impact of the fixture left a deep gash in the floor. If we had not moved to get a better view of the conductor, we would have been seriously injured if not killed.

As this was happening, the conductor paused briefly, arms still in the air, looking back with an angry look. Who had disturbed his performance? Within barely a fraction of a second, he resumed conducting, as we 2 trumpeters looked skyward to see the rest of the Klieg light buzzing ominously.

I have a video of this amazing incident, which the conductor, who tapes his performances, gave to me.

The reason that I bring this up is that I almost became the Minus-One in this orchestra.

walter
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! What a story, Walter.

Tell me, do these things happen to you often?

Now you have a habit of changing seats during performaces? I think that I would.

Thank G-d you're still alive.

Be well,

Liad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: