• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reinhardt Reunion 2002

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received my little brochure on the 2002 Reinhardt Reunion in Lawrenceville, GA on October 19-20.

Scheduled clinics by Roger Homefield, http://www.rogerhomefield.com and Scott Holbert, http://www.holbrass.com

Looking forward to it.

Kurt Z.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was originally planning to squeeze this into my schedule, even with a Friday night gig and a Sunday afternoon gig, but now I have no chance of making it, due to a Saturday night gig.

(Man, you'd think I was gigging a lot by the sound of that . . . but don't be fooled. I'm barely scraping by at this point and can't pass up any opportunity to earn a living.)

I hope somebody will give us a write-up of the proceedings and let us know what Scott and Roger talk about.

I went to one of Doc's teacher's clinics with Roger, and know from his playing, his comments, and the way Doc treated him that he's as serious a Reinhardt student as you could ever ask for. I've never met Scott, but I'm sure if he was picked to be a clinician for the Reinhardt guys, then he's bound to have a solid grasp of Doc's teachings, as well.

Thanks for posting this . . . again, I can't stand to see a topic with zero replies. I hope more interest is generated in this forum soon because I'm tired of seeing my posts in every topic.
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as of right now, I'm planning on going. And afterwards, I'll write up everything that I pick up from the clinics, which I'm hoping to record. I'm very interested in what Scott has to say.

Kurt Z
aem111

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich and all forum contributors,

Thanks a lot for getting the "Doc" forum up and running. I hope a lot of first and second generation students will contribute to help out. Do you think attending the 2002 reunion would be of value to someone just starting to learn about Doc's system and teachings, or will it be too steeped in jargon and advanced ideas for a novice pivoteer to understand and benefit from?

I'd appreciate some info about the get together if someone could pass it along to me

Alex Maier
aem111@direcway.com
273 CR 5500
Bloomfield, NM 87413
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-28 23:06, aem111 wrote:
Do you think attending the 2002 reunion would be of value to someone just starting to learn about Doc's system and teachings, or will it be too steeped in jargon and advanced ideas for a novice pivoteer to understand and benefit from?

Hey, Alex, I just noticed that you didn't get a response to your query.

I think attending the Reinhardt Reunion would be a great place to meet dedicated Reinhardt students . . . guys who don't have a gig that weekend, that is. (I wish I was able to go.) It's probably a great way to get started with studying the Pivot System, also, as networking is everything in so many ways. You may find out that there's a "qualified" Pivot System teacher in your area.

Anyway, Paul Garrett probably is the best person to ask (scream here on TH) because I believe he has a lot to do with the organization of the event.

Rich

828-665-3864 / Fax 503 214 7155
Hear my recordings free: www.mp3.com/RichWilley

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2002-09-07 19:24 ]
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been away from the forum for a couple of days and things are really poppin' around here.

To answer Alex's question along with Rich's....ANYONE interested in Pivot System will benefit from the "reunion". Dave Sheetz will discuss all the types and will be giving private lessons as time permits. Scott Holbert and Roger Homefield will also discuss topics of interest. I'll try to get a flyer to you this next week. We are limiting the event to 60 people due to space constraintainst....

Thanks for your interest...........

Paul Garrett

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2002-09-08 09:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2002-09-08 09:40 ]
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be unable to attend in person due to a previous commitment.
http://www.billgibson.ch.vu
I will be on videotape answering some questions that Dave Sheetz has sent to me.
WEG
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note to remind everyone to contact me at scream@mindspring.com to get a registration for the upcoming Reinhardt Reunion. You can also call me at Musical Moments, 770-237-5061, and our very able receptionist can get your pertinent information to get a brochure to you.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
MrTrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul - I understand you still have some openings for this event. Please count me in; I'll get a check to you next Monday when the kids have their lessons.

Looking forward to it,

Mike Hackbert
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So . . . how’d it go? Anybody ready to report to us? I’m all ears!

Rich
Tall Steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there! Great conference. I was only able to make the Saturday program, and by itself, it was great! I enjoyed listening to Roger Homefield as well. Listening to him talk about what it was like to play with Stan Kenton was like a history lesson taught by a participant. Between Dave and Roger, I better understand the pivot method. Thanks Paul for hosting the event.

Steve

IIIB
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, had a great time at the Reunion. Too bad Paul had a lot of cancellations, they really missed out on a great deal of information.

Dave Sheetz began by giving a fantastic overview of the Pivot System. I really learned a lot from his presentation, I thought I knew what the system was all about, but I knew very little (still do, but, hey)

Roger Homefield's clinic was about 2 hours longer than planned, I think. But he had so many great stories to tell about his time with Buddy, Maynard and Kenton.

The next day we watched a video of Reinhardt giving a lesson to Willy Olnick(sp?) about a year before Doc passed away. I got a great demonstration of the cheek puff routine from this. Then Scott Holbert gave his clinic. Since there were not that many of us there, it was very personal. Scott told us in detail about his chop challenges and many times demonstrated his fantastic range. I sat about 1 foot from his bell, checking out his chops and his fantastic pucker as he easily slurred to double C's and E's over and over.

After that we had Dave, Paul and Scott check out our chops and get "typed". I was a solid IIIA, and Dave gave me the stabilizer and track routine.

The whole reunion was great! We need more of these. If anything, just to get together and hang, maybe play some of Rich's duets.
I had a great time and taped practically the whole thing on minidisc. I think Paul videotaped most of it also. Anyway, the only thing I missed was the Gibson videotapes of the various types. I still would like to check that out someday.

That's enough for now-thanks for reading-

Kurt Z
Newly discovered IIIA
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-21 20:09, kzem wrote:
I had a great time and taped practically the whole thing on minidisc. I think Paul videotaped most of it also. Anyway, the only thing I missed was the Gibson videotapes of the various types. I still would like to check that out someday.

Hey, Kurt! If it wouldn’t be a violation of any copyright laws, I’d sure like to talk to you about burning some CDs from your minidiscs of the convention. Man, it’s great to read what you wrote . . . but it bums me out that I wasn't there. I guess it’s unfortunate that we really can’t be in two places at once . . . even if we’re not anywhere at all! (Firesign Theater, anyone?)

I’d love to see that videotape of Willie Olenick getting a lesson from Doc. I’d heard about that. I grew up with Bill Gibson . . . played little league with him and went to junior high and high school with him, and he’s the one who made it so obvious that I needed to go see Doc. Haven't seen Dave or Roger for years, and never met Scott. It would’ve been fun to hang out with you and Paul again, too.

Yep, reading what you wrote made me homesick for the days of those visits to the 2nd floor there at 1720 Chestnut Street in Center City Philadelphia. Really homesick, man.

God bless Doc Reinhardt!

Rich
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doubt I would love to see a tape of the clinics!!!

My Schilke X3Lb in Satin Gold
[img]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/3f4577e3_1283/bc/X/__hr_x.jpg?BCoZaR_ARis3g4PD[/img]
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'll have more info about the "Reunion" (we'll have a more apropriate name) at http://www.pivotalk.com. I hope to convert what videos I have to DVD in the next couple of months.

By the way, my camera work improved as the weekend went along. In other words, it sucked at first and got better (it wasn't my camera and I didn't have a tripod... although I did improvise one).

Thanks Kurt, Mike and, Steve for your attendance and input. We will be planning next years event in the upcoming weeks. Place and date TBA. More guest artists, clinics and general stuff. Maybe even a solo competition....

P.S. Rich....see ya Thursday!!!!

"Wherever you go....there you are."
Buckaroo Bonzai

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2002-10-30 18:09 ]
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-30 17:46, scream wrote:
P.S. Rich....see ya Thursday!!!!

This is pretty cool . . . Paul hooked me up with a gig he's doing tonight in Asheville with a band from Atlanta. Y'know, next year I don't want to miss the "Reunion" (or whatever it'll be called by then) . . . knowing other Reinhardt students and being able to talk with them fills a void that can't be filled by talking to players with non-Reinhardt convictions. In fact, talking to Reinhardt guys is such a breath of fresh air! I'm really looking forward to this gig tonight, and maybe Paul and I will report back to you tomorrow on how our chops held up on this potentially loud and demanding gig.

Rich
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beatin' ya to the punch on this Rich....

In the typical fashion of bar gigs, our 10:30 gig started at midnight. We found out there was an opening act. And in typical Reinhardt student fashion, I think our chops held up nicely. Chris LaBarera told Rich he's "in love with his sound". Who wouldn't be? What areat big, fat sound Rich has. He sounded great and did a better job sight-reading the gig than I did (not quite the impression I wanted to give...). Not to mention some VERY nice soloing.

Thanks, Rch. I hope we can do it again!!!!!!

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-01 08:38, scream wrote:
In the typical fashion of bar gigs, our 10:30 gig started at midnight.

Paul, you forgot to mention that we played only one set . . . a three hour set fer cryin' out loud!!! But thanks for saying nice stuff. Man, the rest of you would undoubtedly be as impressed with Paul's playing as I was . . . good lord, man, what were some of those notes? About an octave above me, at least, right?

Who'da thunkit? A latin band gig in Asheville, NC on Halloween. The "big star" was this guy Jeff from a band called Phish and he was playing banjo with a salsa band. Figure that one out. Bottom line is that I had a blast and got to play with some outstanding musicians. The bass player and pianist were the real stars, I thought . . . but nobody asked me.

And the trombone player was also great fun. I don't think I was the only one who was glad he brought his girlfriend. Poor girl must've been standing for over three hours (it's one of those clubs with almost no seats so the crowd can gather around the stage and make fools of themselves).

Gotta go . . . yes, Paul, let's do it again!

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: