• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What kind of support do you get from your family ??

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does you family support you?
My wife supports me fully
65%
 65%  [ 27 ]
My wife is no help at all
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
My wife wishes my trumpet (or I) would get run over
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
My child(ren) support me
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
My child(ren) couldn't care less
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
My child(ren) wish the noise would stop
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 41

steve k

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back to playing about 2 years ago, because of my son. My oldest came home from school, and out of nowhere, told me he wants to play the trumpet. He didn't even know that I played before he was born. So I went out and bought him a decent student horn, and dusted of my old Getzen. We've been playing together ever since.....Now, are you ready for the irony?? He is the reason I stoped playing in the first place! I was a music major in college, when My wife (girlfriend at the time) found herself "with child". I packed up my horn and my Arban's, got married, and went to work. Never looked back, and never regretted it either.. now we have 3 kids, I'm in a senior Drum & Bugle Corps, my son is looking forward to the high school Marching band, My other son is starting clarinet this year, my wife is playing Glockenspiel (bells) in a string band, and my daughter can't wait till she is old enough to get her first flute. I guess the music never left, it was just waiting till I had a family to share it with!
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story, Steve! Welcome to the board. Wish I could be there to see your face the first time your son takes the field and pierces the air with a good high note!!
steve k

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Jeff,
Let's see...Georgia huh? That's only a couple of states away from Pa...maybe you'll hear him!
Trumpeter58
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife of near 37 years enjoys going to the concerts I play in, usually accompanied by the wonderful lady who was my first grade elementary school teacher. And here, as Paul Harvey would say, is "the rest of the story".

It was during the third month of my disability leave after being diagnosed with the cancer that ended my working career that I picked up my old cornet in answer to a compulsion to revive the old skills (after about 20 years of not playing at all) and put them to use in the music program at our church. After about the first three days of listening to me trying to regain a respectable tone and some sort of range, my wife came to me and asked; "Are you planning to go somewhere with this, or are you just making noise?" So I told her of the compulsion and that I had every intent of taking it as far as I could. She remembered that during the short span of time that I had last played I had wanted a new trumpet, but didn't feel we could justify the expense, and a couple of days later as we were finishing breakfast she said; "Let's get dressed and go shopping for a trumpet." When I asked why she said: "Because you're not taking that musty old horn into our church for any reason." And so, by noon that day I was the excited owner of a new Olds NA 100ZU. Since she bought me the trumpet to get my comeback rolling, goes to all the concerts I play in, and has no objection to my practicing 2 or more hours per day, I guess you'd have to say she supports my efforts very well.

Blessing ML-1S
Olds Special NA 100ZU
Holton Collegiate cornet (circa 1953)
Olds NF13MRT Flugel
Monette STC1-B4S
ustacouldplay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no family, you insensitive clod!
Trumpeter58
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE:
Quote:
I have no family, you insensitive clod".

If that was directed to me:

My working career was ended by a very advanced, very agressive, imminently life threatening case of cancer that came within days of prematurely taking me from this life, and from my family, which changed my perspectives of life. It did not, however, make me an insensitive clod. I'm sorry that you have no family, that my post apparently triggered unpleasant memories for you, and that you took it personally. It was certainly not intended as such to you or anyone else. Hopefully you have close friends.

Blessing ML-1S
Olds Special NA 100ZU
Olds NF13MRT Flugel
Monette STC1-B4S
ustacouldplay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpeter58 wrote:
RE:
Quote:
I have no family, you insensitive clod".

If that was directed to me:

My working career was ended by a very advanced, very agressive, imminently life threatening case of cancer that came within days of prematurely taking me from this life, and from my family, which changed my perspectives of life. It did not, however, make me an insensitive clod. I'm sorry that you have no family, that my post apparently triggered unpleasant memories for you, and that you took it personally. It was certainly not intended as such to you or anyone else. Hopefully you have close friends.

Haha! I guess you're not a nerd. My post was an allusion to the polls (and trolls?) on another site.
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we keep the name calling and attitudes out of Comeback Players, please?

The world would be a finer place if every relationship was as great as Trumpeter58's sounds.
ustacouldplay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another one misses the bus.
Trumpeter58
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Janet. I think everything is OK now with John. I just felt that if I had somehow offended someone, I should make it clear that it was totally inadvertent.

BTW> I have a great relationship with my wife and three kids, ages 30, 28 and 22, as well as with my daughter-in-law, son-in-law, and prospective daughter-in-law-to-be, AND my grandaughter, age 8 mos.

Peace and Blessings

Ray

Blessing ML-1S
Olds Special NA 100ZU
Olds NF13MRT Flugel
Monette STC1-B4S
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Passive Resistance? Dog bites back. Reply with quote

My wife verbally supports any of my hobbies, but something often gets in the way of my practice. She really wanted to walk the dog together to talk over the day, so I was late to band practice (not quite senior band). The following week, I said let's walk to band with the dog. I'll carry (lug) my horn and then you can walk him home. She couldn't say no, so we walked to the senior center, then I went in. The dog went on strike and wouldn't leave the area me. They barely made it home before I did!

1963 Connstellation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: