• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bill Knevitt expands the Gordon ideas

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Jake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The excellent trumpet books by Bill Knevitt are an upgrade and often considered superior to Claude Gordon books.
The systematic lesson plans are better in their design than Gordons.
Bill Knevitt is well known as a former Claude Gordon student. Claude Gordon himself made fabulous endorsements about Bill Knevitt such as.
"Of all of the trumpet teachers that I know Bill Knevitt is simply the best"

With that coming from Claude Gordon himself then checking him out would be a good idea if you are going to investigate the Gordon ideas.

I understand why Mr Gordon would be proud of him because he expanded and improved on the Gordons ideas and Bill never makes negative public comments about other people or methods. Bill is a good Christian man.

I got better and more consistent results from Knevitt's books than I did from the Gordon books. Later on I applied all of the Knevitt exercises while changing my embouchure to the SuperChops embouchure which was a major improvement over the Maggio, Gordon embouchure.

Contact Ultra Trumpet Ministries
http://www.ultratrumpet.com
Cheers
Jake

[ This Message was edited by: Big Jake on 2002-07-23 21:12 ]
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-23 21:08, Big Jake wrote:
The excellent trumpet books by Bill Knevitt are an upgrade and often considered superior to Claude Gordon books.
The systematic lesson plans are better in their design than Gordons.
Bill Knevitt is well known as a former Claude Gordon student. Claude Gordon himself made fabulous endorsements about Bill Knevitt such as.
"Of all of the trumpet teachers that I know Bill Knevitt is simply the best"

With that coming from Claude Gordon himself then checking him out would be a good idea if you are going to investigate the Gordon ideas.

I understand why Mr Gordon would be proud of him because he expanded and improved on the Gordons ideas and Bill never makes negative public comments about other people or methods. Bill is a good Christian man.

I got better and more consistent results from Knevitt's books than I did from the Gordon books. Later on I applied all of the Knevitt exercises while changing my embouchure to the SuperChops embouchure which was a major improvement over the Maggio, Gordon embouchure.

Contact Ultra Trumpet Ministries
Cheers
Jake

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: Big Jake on 2002-07-23 21:12 ]</font>

From Bill's webpage:

Claude Gordon said publicly concerning
Bill, "In all my years of teaching, I have
never had a student who understands how to
teach trumpet as does Bill Knevitt."

Clearly Claude said this before I came along...

I'M JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

Thanks Jake,

I had heard of Bill, but now I can contact him and/or read his stuff on his web page.

Claude's "Systematic Approach" was written fairly early in his teaching career. With time and more experience, he made running changes to how he used it with his students, and of course when you studied personally with him, he customized and/or modified both the order and the scope of the exercises to fit you, the individual.

Hey, you're quite aways away from the SuperChops forum. Don't get lost...

John Mohan
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jake,
Bill is a great guy, I have had several e-mail exchanges with him and he has never been anything but helpful. I don't have his books but like his comments on his web site concerning how he sets his lips when he plays. Do you have any recommendations as to which of his books I should get first?

Bruce

[ This Message was edited by: histrumpet on 2002-07-24 09:17 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"On one specific night Claude was actually trying to find out what some of the current younger players thought of him. This was the mid 1970’s and needless to say high note players were in like Flynn. After relentless persistence I gave in and mentioned that some players said he couldn’t perform some of the routines in his “Systematic Approach”. Bare in mind Claude had retired as a player a decade before this and seldom played his horn (when I first began with Claude he played a great deal in the lessons with me). That night he went over to the case, popped the latches loudly, you could hear them flutter, he grabbed his horn, made a fist and pounded down on the top of all three valves to free them up as they were slightly frozen. He grabbed his mouthpiece and placed it in the horn. (Claude played a lacquer C.G. model with a Bach 1-1/4 C skeletonized mouthpiece with a #19 drill, a Morse taper and a full Schmidt backbore.) Taking a huge breath he played a major triad from tuning C down to pedal C (as big as a house) he started on low C and played a chromatic scale to Double High C then flipping to an E above that, he didn’t miss a note. He removed the mouthpiece returning both it and the horn to the case closing the lid and snapping it shut. He turned to me and said: now you heard it, don’t let anyone try to tell you otherwise, I’ll see you next week, goodnight... now PRACTICE!"

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow!

My memory takes awhile to "get in gear" these days.

Bill and I corresponded by e-mail a while back. He related an amusing incident Claude had told him about that happened in a lesson Claude had with Clarke where Claude was being overly analytical and finally in disgust Clarke yelled, "Look, would you
just pick up the darn thing and blow it?!!!"

All for now,

John Mohan
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-24 09:38, Roddyo-iii<O wrote:
"On one specific night Claude was actually trying to find out what some of the current younger players thought of him. This was the mid 1970’s and needless to say high note players were in like Flynn. After relentless persistence I gave in and mentioned that some players said he couldn’t perform some of the routines in his “Systematic Approach”. Bare in mind Claude had retired as a player a decade before this and seldom played his horn (when I first began with Claude he played a great deal in the lessons with me). That night he went over to the case, popped the latches loudly, you could hear them flutter, he grabbed his horn, made a fist and pounded down on the top of all three valves to free them up as they were slightly frozen. He grabbed his mouthpiece and placed it in the horn. (Claude played a lacquer C.G. model with a Bach 1-1/4 C skeletonized mouthpiece with a #19 drill, a Morse taper and a full Schmidt backbore.) Taking a huge breath he played a major triad from tuning C down to pedal C (as big as a house) he started on low C and played a chromatic scale to Double High C then flipping to an E above that, he didn’t miss a note. He removed the mouthpiece returning both it and the horn to the case closing the lid and snapping it shut. He turned to me and said: now you heard it, don’t let anyone try to tell you otherwise, I’ll see you next week, goodnight... now PRACTICE!"

Roddy,

Is this your story or are you quoting Bill?

John
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a story of from a VERY famous trumpet player....not Bill Knevitt....if anyone guesses correctly I'll buy anyone a virtual beer!...go ahead have a guess...great story huh?...absolutely true....

let everybody have a guess...

trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about you guys. But I really like the free book offer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?...nobody guessing?

Roddy o-iii<O

Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Cacia at an early age had a driving desire to be a great trumpet player and an insatiable drive to play well in the high range.
This an understandable undertaking in an age like ours, where the high note player is looked upon with awe and gains the admiration
of young and old alike. Studying and working hard Paul developed an outstanding range with brilliant sound. The most of success Paul!

Claude Gordon

kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone went through some of the Knevitt books? I've e-mailed him a few times and he sent me his Ultimate Warm-Up, which I used now and then. I think he has about 20 books in all, but many of the topics seem to bleed over into each other. It makes it difficult on what one should choose for an overview of his ideas.

Kurt Z.
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has so many books I'm not sure which one I would want to purchase. They all sound like they would help, but which one is good starting point?
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i received my free book from Bill Knevitt's website. i didn't have to pay nothing not even s & h. what a great offer.

The Book he sent me was
"The Ultra-trumpet practice routine for advanced players"
It's a 11 page book and for a free book it's pretty book. It's basically a sumary of Claude Gordon's SA book. and the book is not for beginers either. Overall I like my new free book. Although I probably won't use it unless I'm in a hurry and have nothing to practice but it's still a good book.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Big Jake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash Course Posted: July 26 at 18:12 - Ad Number: 4122

So many players have wanted to take the "Ultra-Trumpet Crash Course" but could not afford the time or expense in coming to Michigan...Now the "Ultra-Trumpet Crash Course for Home Study" is available! You receive a 208 page manual, along with 52 cassette tapes of me explaining and demonstrating the exercises...plus 4 bonus tapes. For more information, email me!
Price: $300.00 Posted by: Bill Knevitt

Cheers
Jake

[ This Message was edited by: big jake on 2002-07-31 02:10 ]
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-31 02:02, Big Jake wrote:
Crash Course Posted: July 26 at 18:12 - Ad Number: 4122

So many players have wanted to take the "Ultra-Trumpet Crash Course" but could not afford the time or expense in coming to Michigan...Now the "Ultra-Trumpet Crash Course for Home Study" is available! You receive a 208 page manual, along with 52 cassette tapes of me explaining and demonstrating the exercises...plus 4 bonus tapes. For more information, email me!
Price: $300.00 Posted by: Bill Knevitt

Cheers
Jake

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: big jake on 2002-07-31 02:10 ]</font>

Hi there Big Jake,

I recently e-mailed Bill with the address for the Trumpet Herald. He had asked me about advertising on the site and I told him it was available.

Does the above refer to an ad he has on the Herald? I've looked for one but I can't find it. If that quote you placed is from an ad here, can you write to me how to access the ad? Or do I have to wait for it to "pop up" in the upper left corner like the Northern Brass, Gr Technologies, and other ads I see?

Thanks in advance,

John Mohan
comebackkid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Bill put this info up on the marketplace (classified ads) of this site. Perhaps it is elsewhere too, but that is where I saw it.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A belated thanks Comeback Kid for posting your answer to me.

I'm not surprized that "Big Jake" didn't bother answering my question. He only seems to address things to me that are negative and doesn't seem interested in having a positive exchange with me.

I'd like to add to this topic what Bill Knevitt had to say about Claude Gordon:

“After having played trumpet for 25 years and receiving degrees from
two of our large universities, I can honestly say that I have made more
progress under Claude Gordon in two years than in all my previous
years of playing.

While the Claude Gordon practice system can be adapted to students of
all ages, it can truly be called a post-graduate course in professional
trumpet playing and teaching.”

- William B. Knevitt
PACtrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Bill Knevitt's routines for about 6 weeks as follows: One week on Crash Course lesson #1, One week on Professional Trumpet Routines Lesson #1, One week on Crash Course lesson #2, One week on Prof. Trpt Rout. Lesson #2 etc. etc. I am on PTR Lesson #3.

The routines are getting challenging and it is improving my endurance, range and sound. The influence that CG had on his teaching is very apparent. Lots of tongue models, tongue level exrecises and lip flexibilities. The approach is identical to CG in that it is all about How you practice, What you practice, and When you practice that counts. I use the routines as my warm-up and techinical practice then I move on to Arban, Concone, Chuch music and other lyrical material.

I highly recommend Bill, I went to Chicago and spent some time in the practice room with him before I got started. He is a wonderful player and a great Christian role model.

Regards,
Phil
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way you are doing his material seems kind of strange to me, jumping from one of his books to another every week or so. Did he tell you to do it this way or is this your own idea?

John
PACtrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Yes, that is the way Bill started me on the routines. What problems do you see in it? I will value your opinion and suggestions.

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: