• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

will flat front teeth hinder my high note development?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading on this forum and other sites that V shaped front teeth seem to help when playing higher notes. I have perfectly flat front teeth. My two teeth to the outside of the two front teeth overlap the front teeth by a little bit. After 1 1/2 years on the trumpet, I still have a hard time going to C, let alone anything over it. Any suggestions on mouthpiece position to compensate for my flat teeth? Am I assuming a problem where there isn't one?
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't think teeth have anything with being able to learn how to do it!....even when some greta HNA have crooked ones. Tooth issues are dealt with inthe book below!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
screamer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, front teeth don't matter--I'm on my third or fourth set now. (My real teeth, then those bonded back together, then some temporary caps, now some real caps... Oh, and I've had root canels done too! Once you get your embochure working correctly, the rest will fall into place.

I'd suggest getting Roddy's book. I haven't bought it (just read about it yesterday!), but most of the advice he's given here and on his site has been a big help for me.
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether you have flat teeth, v-shaped teeth, uneven teeth, even teeth or a maloclusion, it doesn't matter! I'm sure there are a lot of fine players out there that have an awful set of teeth...although I have no evidence to back this up.

Don't fight your physical characteristics. Instead work with mother nature. You could scream like maynard with flat teeth if really put your mind to it and worked hard.

Having said that I do believe some people have lips that are the right thickness and length for their teeth and posess a sweet combination of physical factors that allows them to play high notes with greater ease.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-05 13:33, alexs0628 wrote:
I've been reading on this forum and other sites that V shaped front teeth seem to help when playing higher notes. I have perfectly flat front teeth. My two teeth to the outside of the two front teeth overlap the front teeth by a little bit. After 1 1/2 years on the trumpet, I still have a hard time going to C, let alone anything over it. Any suggestions on mouthpiece position to compensate for my flat teeth? Am I assuming a problem where there isn't one?

I'm sorry, but you are SO FAR OUT in Left Field if you think that your "flat teeth" are a problem! Your problem is that you are concentrating and worrying about the wrong things. Buy Claude Gordon's book, "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing", available at:

http://www.claudegordonmusic.com

This book explains in simple terms EVERYTHING you need to know about how to develop as a brass player. Following Claude's teachings certainly worked for me! Following his teaching and advice gave me my career.

Click on the "www" icon in my profile for more info on how Claude's teachings worked for me and the resulting career I now have. Then, if you'd like my help you can e-mail me.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I read through a few suggested sights on embouchures. (I read all this stuff at work so I can use the T1 connection. Nice perk as the IT Administrator) Went home and tried out some things, and discovered that I have LOUSY lip compression. And slow, weak air flow. I hit a high C with alot less mpc pressure than before-and it seems so easy. It will take practice, but at least now I have a better idea of where my mistakes are being made. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: