• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Obscure iTunes question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
downdawg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Obscure iTunes question Reply with quote

So lately I've been sleeping to white noise on my iTunes -- drowns out street noise, etc. and keeps my dog fom barking.

I have it on loop with crossfade so it plays throughout the night.

Problem is, usually after about 7 hours or so, it seems to freak out, and ends up sounding like white noise on a broken record, (except the break in the sound is rapid --- ratatatatatatattatatatatatatat)

so I have to get outta bed around 6:00 and hit my space bar twice to reset it.

Way to early for a sleepyhead like me!

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem with iTunes?

My CD player is not an option, as I need the crossfade, otherwise, the abrupt gap between the tracks wakes me up.

Thanks,

DD
tpt-tooth
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I happen to have family member who needs "white noise" to sleep, I happen to know the fine art of generating it

The most efficient way to generate white noise is with one of those little portable 5" TV sets you can get at a pharmacy for around $25. Apparently there's something about a garbled UHF signal that is soothing and constant.

There are also various alarm clocks that have sound effects generators but I find those really annoying.

BTW the iTunes skipping is tough to diagnose: my best guess is that it's an operating system issue: most computers are programmed to auto-run routine maintenance tasks during "off hours" and your OS is diverting system resources from your audio to do some indexing, defraging or virus-checking. You could try disengaging these scheduled tasks and see if it helps.
downdawg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpt-tooth wrote:
Since I happen to have family member who needs "white noise" to sleep, I happen to know the fine art of generating it

The most efficient way to generate white noise is with one of those little portable 5" TV sets you can get at a pharmacy for around $25. Apparently there's something about a garbled UHF signal that is soothing and constant.

There are also various alarm clocks that have sound effects generators but I find those really annoying.

BTW the iTunes skipping is tough to diagnose: my best guess is that it's an operating system issue: most computers are programmed to auto-run routine maintenance tasks during "off hours" and your OS is diverting system resources from your audio to do some indexing, defraging or virus-checking. You could try disengaging these scheduled tasks and see if it helps.

Word!

I will check out the OS stuff. Thanks for the TV idea too-- but the good thing about iTunes is that you can tweak the EQ settings pretty well. Also, I may switch to a waterfall or rain CD -- currently checking out various samples on Amazon, etc.

Thanks,

DD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: