• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso and 2 days off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
The past 2 days have been VERY hectic, a lot of studying for 6 weeks tests. I did absolutley NO playing tuesday or wed outside of school band rehearsal. Well today, I did my Caruso, and was pretty amazed. A lot of the intervals were SO much easier. The High D and E just fell out of the horn. On the SLS Second's, the high b-c-b is my usual limit, but today I did the high D-E-D interval. Would taking a couple of days off every few weeks help from totally destroying the chops? Thanks.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Goldenchops55,

I have always been a proponent of a day of rest once a week if it is possible. We are either trying to build up muscles or maintain, not break down. Rest helps to rejuvinate the tissues.

Weight lifters that are trying to do the same thing take time off. Maybe in there case they lift everyday but work on different sets of muscles. I'm sure we have members that can expand on that.

Take the theory of practice in shorter intervals but do it more often. Practice - rest - practice - rest, etc. Rest is not bad when used properly.

HTH,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I'm real undecided about the amount of rest one should have to accomplish goals/task at hand/building chops.

Heres a quote from a well know author/teacher of a music book I follow.."if you dont practice every day shame on you"

Until an expert on muscle development tells me otherwise, two days off is way to much.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should take at least one day off per week in general trumpet terms I believe. Lots of the top pros do, go read about it in the interviews on my website. As for taking these days off within the CARUSO programme I have my own thoughts on this, which I will refrain from mentioning here on the forum, seeing as I never had the good fortune to meet with CC. This usually results in the whadoyouknowthen syndrome.

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Method for Trumpet Advancement]

http://www.R-o-d-d-y-T-r-u-m-p-e-t.cC/home.html

[ This Message was edited by: Emb_Enh on 2002-11-08 09:58 ]
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

• To GC55:

Be careful NOT to measure progress/development by how well the Caruso calisthenics are going. By doing that you will be using a music oriented yardstick for a non-music exercise. I know that it's an easy thing to do, but should be avoided. I think taking a day off is a good idea for me at times. You'll have to decide if it's a good idea for you. The Caruso principle to guide you in your decision is that Carmine used to say that you can't teach tired muscles. You decide if your muscles are tired and need a rest, and then make your choices.

Personally, I think that too much practice is worse than not enough, as long as you're putting in at least 1-2 hours a day. Three or four hours a day might be better for you, but 7 or 8 might be too much and be the greater evil than not doing the third or fourth hour. It's your call.

• To PP:

PP: Take the theory of practice in shorter intervals but do it more often. Practice - rest - practice - rest, etc. Rest is not bad when used properly...... Weight lifters that are trying to do the same thing take time off.

CR: I think your principle is correct, but Carmine hated the analogy with weight lifters. He preferred using a distance runner. You're not building muscle mass, you're trying to develop muscular synchronization, or timing. True, there is timing in some weight lifting activity, but the goal is usually to increase mass and strength. With the Caruso approach this quote sums it all up, "When playing an instrument, the musician is dealing with numerous body motions. It's the synchronization of these motions that produces the desired results. Synchronization requires perfect timing of all muscular movements. Therefore, timing is of the utmost importance." ------ Carmine Caruso (1979)

• To JG:

JG: Heres a quote from a well know author/teacher of a music book I follow.."if you dont practice
    every day shame on you" Until an expert on muscle development tells me otherwise, two days off is way to much.

CR: John, you have to be the expert here and make the decision that is in your best interest.

• To Roddy:

RL: As for taking these days off within the CARUSO programme I have my own thoughts on this, which I will refrain from mentioning here on the forum, seeing as I never had the good fortune to meet with CC. This usually results in the whadoyouknowthen syndrome.

CR: Roddy, you (and anyone) may offer an opinion on the Caruso approach. If I believe that it is contrary to my experience with CC, I will respond with that difference of opinion. I'm certain that many, if not most, players misunderstand the Caruso philosophy. I know I did and I studied directly with him. However, not understanding the 'why' of something doesn't prevent the student from prcticing the 'how' and achieving great success. The player may never understand why it works, all he knows is that he is playing better. On the other hand, when the thinking brain starts to meddle with the application of the calisthenics, that's when the trouble starts.

If your thoughts on Caruso are mistaken, there are probably many others who share the same error in perception.

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-11-09 11:03 ]
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charly,

Thank you so much for such an informative and comprehensive post!

I have had questions on this rest/play issue for some time now and have posted the same in the thread Rest or not to Rest, That is the Question.

Thank you very much for your expert help. This whole TH forum would do well to read your message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: