• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

music for adults with learning difficulties

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alixross

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: music for adults with learning difficulties Reply with quote

Hi,
not sure if i'm posting this in the right place but......................

I graduated from uni in summer 2004 with a music degree and then did 1 term in secondary teaching before deciding it wasn't for me and going to work in admin. I have recently become interested in Music Therapy and am trying to learn more about it.

One of my friends works with adults with learning difficulties and has said that her manager would be interested in me bringing my trumpet along a couple of times a week and playing through some music with them as some of them have keyboards / guitars etc.

this sounds like a really good opportunity to me but i'm not too sure where to start. Has anyone done this kind of work before, it would be great to get some ideas.
Thanks
Alix
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alix, long time no hear

Did you know Iain McDonald (tuba player) whilst you were at uni (you were at Surrey, right?)?
Memory serves that he has done some things with music in a similar manner to that which you decribe. PM me if you would like to contact him about it

You might also consider checking out the British Society for Music Therapy - http://www.bsmt.org/ - looks like a very good website to start from.

I know the effect music can have upon students with certain behavioural and learning difficulties - the transformation can be quite incredible.
alixross

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mike,
Yes i did know iain well, if you could send me an email address for him that would be great. I'm working for the associated board at the moment which is really good but not what i want to be doing forever. I am keeping my options open!!!

Hope all is well with the trumpet ensemble

Alix
trumpetjennifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The university I attend has a good Music Therapy program, and my former roomie used to be a MT major. I used to think it was a crock of crap, but now I believe that listening and particularly participating in music is great therapy for children and adults. Check out MT by Googling it.

For adults, I saw a thing on the news a while back about a few companies doing a drum circle once a week for their employees. It was a real stress reliever for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: