• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blue Mitchell Revisted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a used copy of "The Cup Bearers" in a Cheapo's here in the Twin Cities. All I can say is..... wow! I never listened to much of Horace Silver's music, so Mitchell was unknown to me, until I read some posts about the guy on this forum.

The guy was definitely not a blazing virtuoso, but his soloing is tasteful, and his sound is unique without being over the top. I wish I had heard of him before, and I thank everyone who participated in the last discussion of this musician for opening my eyes and (now) opening my ears.
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Mitchell was a truly great player in his day with a unique style (i.e. very economical and understated) and a monumental grasp of musical form/composition. To his credit, he didn't have to play a zillion notes or shatter glass with upper register fireworks to make a lasting statement.

barry
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-01 19:32, ZeroMan wrote:
I found a used copy of "The Cup Bearers" in a Cheapo's here in the Twin Cities. All I can say is..... wow! I never listened to much of Horace Silver's music, so Mitchell was unknown to me, until I read some posts about the guy on this forum.

The guy was definitely not a blazing virtuoso, but his soloing is tasteful, and his sound is unique without being over the top. I wish I had heard of him before, and I thank everyone who participated in the last discussion of this musician for opening my eyes and (now) opening my ears.

Yeah, Blue was something else. Now that you've discovered him I would suggest that you go buy (as funds allow) any Horace Silver recordings that includes Blue in the band. You won't be disappointed with any of them.
Larry Smithee
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah, Blue was something else. Now that you've discovered him I would suggest that you go buy (as funds allow) any Horace Silver recordings that includes Blue in the band. You won't be disappointed with any of them.
Larry Smithee

That is for sure....This morning I was just getting ready to sit down at my drawing board and needed a music-jump start with my coffee. I was listening to a CD "GREEN IS BEAUTIFUL.Grant Green...where the beautiful
BLUE MITCHELL was the featured trumpeter on this CD
1. Aint't it Funky Now.
2.A day in the life.
3.The Windjammer
4. I'll Never fall in love again.
and best of all the number 5 cut: DRACULA where our " BLUE NAILS IT!" I don't own any Mitchell Cd's except this one, My Loss??? for sure...
Rich_Nichols

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Blue's Moods" is a favorite of tons of musicians, not just trumpet players, and it's one of a handful of trumpet+rhythm section sides that anybody/everybody should check out.
(KD's "quiet kenny" is another one.)

Also, check out Blue's first two recordings on Riverside- "Big 6" under his own name and "Portrait of Cannonball" (Adderley, of course). These two great records were done in the same week during July '58 and show a fully developed Blue kicking big booty.
Anybody have a link to a full discography? I'd love to check one out. Been a big fan for years but there's always that obscure unturned stone, you dig.
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeroMan:

If you want a great Blue, I would also agree with "Blue's Moods." Also, you should go over to the Electric Fetus (I live in St. Paul too) and get "Capuchin Swing" by Jackie McLean. That has some great Blue playing as well.
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thing to Do is one of Blue's most popular albums -- plays his behind off on some really cool tunes, even a calypso -- Fungii Mama.

Blue Soul is also very good, though some tracks are just the rhythm section.

Blowin' the Blues Away is my top choice for Horace Silver records featuring Blue. Horace-Scope is great, too.

-mk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: