• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

SHIELDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the end of the Shostakovich Fifth and you are nailing the sucker! You notice some movement in front of you.
It's the WHOLE Viola section crouched and holding their ears. If looks could kill you know you'd be a goner.
I'm sure this scene has happened to all of us at one time.
Here in NYC, the new thing is shields.
Large pieces of plexiglass placed in front of the brass section!!!
I hate it!!!!!!!
Has it happened in your town.........yet?
Wilmer
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nawww... they just use earplugs!

I like the "Cone of Silence" like Maxwell Smart and the Chief used on Get Smart
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still laugh when I think of the Cone Of Silence! Every time there was something secret to discuss, Max and the Chief would lower the C.O.S., and every time it prevented them from hearing each other. But did they learn? Never!
leadtrmptplyr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I saw that was in 1990 at a church that I played a Christmas program at. They put the brass in a little plexi shield cage so we wouldn't be too powerful. Now it is every time I have ever played at a church. The church that I go to is not very big and the volume of sound of a brass section is somewhat overwhelming and you can't hear the choir. We opted for the shield rather than mute every piece we play. But now I have to wear earplugs so I don't go deaf with 3 trumpets, 3 bones and 2 french horns all inside this plexi glass structure. Very loud in there.
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shields can work just fine if they are away from the bells and angled about 30 degrees.
If they're flat to the bells, obviously you're going to get the brunt of your own sound. They will also create the false perception that you need to blow more because you can't hear yourself come back to you from the hall. The Detroit Symphony uses them in front of the bones and, because of their positioning, you can't even tell the shields are there. The players also don't complain about them. The trumpets don't need them because they are situated further back from the winds and violas than the bones so nobody complains. Not too much anyway. Some string players and oboists are never happy unless the brass are moved to the next building. Experimenting with the positioning should alleviate some of the "hate".

Paul

"NEVER look at the trombones...it only encourages them" (R. Strauss)

"What the hell does sound have to do with music?" (Charles Ives)
Iguananaught
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minnesota Orchestra uses them, or did the last time I saw them. I haven't heard any complaints about it from the players, and they still sound pretty darn good! In the little orchestra I play in, our harpist is right in front of the brass. She hates us.
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"KEEP THE SHIELDS AND BOXES FOR THE THE DRUMMERS, NOT THE BRASS PLAYERS!!!"

The R.B.B.& B. Circus uses a plexiglass box for the drummer and the rest of the band uses AMT mics.

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"KEEP THE SHIELDS AND BOXES FOR THE THE DRUMMERS, NOT THE BRASS PLAYERS!!!"

The R.B.B.& B. Circus uses a plexiglass box for the drummer and the rest of the band uses AMT mics.

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I think our marching band could use a few sheilds in the stands. It isn't pleasant have 25 trombones behind you blasting their parts at the top of their lungs while about half of them are at least 40 cents off the actual pitch. *cringes* I just stand in the aisle where the stairs are.
kcrw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some trumpet players that stand behind me in marching band that try to play high but can't neded shields that cover the bell so you can't hear them. He is almost a half a step sharp because he is trying to play higher then he can (which is a G on the top of the staff). The bad part about it is it is a college marching band, so he is trying to be "cool" by playing what he thinks is high. Sorry about ranting, but it bothers me when a college student can't tell when he is playing the wrong note.

Casey Welty
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-20 14:12, wiseone2 wrote:
It's the end of the Shostakovich Fifth and you are nailing the sucker! You notice some movement in front of you.
It's the WHOLE Viola section crouched and holding their ears. If looks could kill you know you'd be a goner.
I'm sure this scene has happened to all of us at one time.
Here in NYC, the new thing is shields.
Large pieces of plexiglass placed in front of the brass section!!!
I hate it!!!!!!!
Has it happened in your town.........yet?
Wilmer

Hi Wilmer
It brings to mind that old story about John Wilbraham. When he was giving it some stick a back desk lady viola player immediately in front turned to him to inquire if he really had to play that loud, and to tell him she really did hate sitting in front of the trumpets.
Jumbo is reported to have answered, "if you practiced more you'd be on the 1st desk, and a lot further away from me".
all the best
Brian Jones
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Brian!!! I'll have to remember that one. The conversation that usually takes place in the orchestra I'm in is:

violas: Can you guys play any louder (sarcastically)?

brass: Why...YES WE CAN!!! (and promptly do so)

Admittedly, that doesn't go over very well.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: