• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Man I thought trumpet players were egotistical...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wispy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually with the saxophone player. It is corrupt and a whole lot of BS. Many of the judges don't perform commercially, have no idea what they're talking about, and are often low quality band directors. If a judge is judging one of their students, it wouldn't be hard to arrange a signal or even not "cheat" and just know the students style and tone. Alterations in scores could even occur subconsciously and not be intentional. But then again I am tryin out tomorrow so I hope the judges aren't reading this .
________
LOLOL

Last edited by Wispy on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wispy wrote:
I'm actually with the saxophone player. It is corrupt and a whole lot of BS. Many of the judges don't perform commercially,

How would YOU know what the judges have or have not done? Since when is someone playing "commercially" the criteria that qualifies them to judge MS and MS kids?
Quote:
have no idea what they're talking about,

Because band students all know what they're talking about?

Quote:
and are often low quality band directors.

Quote:
If a judge is judging one of their students, it wouldn't be hard to arrange a signal or even not "cheat" and just know the students style and tone. Alterations in scores could even occur subconsciously and not be intentional.

And there's nothing wrong with that. That's just the way it is.

Quote:
But then again I am tryin out tomorrow so I hope the judges aren't reading this .

So if it's tomorrow, why are you here and not practicing?

R

9/11/01 Never forget those who died. Never forget those who killed them.
hummel4trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Man I thought trumpet players were egotistical Reply with quote

Who cares what chair you got in what band. When you audition for this group next year or any other group for that matter, don't go there saying " I need to make this band or that band". Go to the audition and play the best that you can play! I once went to an audition, when I was 16 yrs old, for a professional gig with the attitude " All they can do is say NO". And I got the gig over some college guys, there was no goal in my mind other then play the best that I can. That is all that you can do.

Now when it is time to go and play in this band that you are not happy with, don't have a bad attitude, be an example to the guys around you of how to play at 100% of all of the time. That will rub off on the guys/gals sitting next to you. Who cares if you might be better then the first chair guy. Who cares!! Love what you do and it will show in your sound, technique and over all ability. Good Luck!!
Wispy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

380WIN
Quote:
How would YOU know what the judges have or have not done? Since when is someone playing "commercially" the criteria that qualifies them to judge MS and MS kids?

My trumpet teacher was a substitue for a couple of tryouts and related to me the quality of the people and the corruption. Would a saxophone player find it as easy to forgive a trumpet who missed a couple of physically demanding high notes as a trumpet player that knows what it takes? Would a drummer forgive a missed rhythm when they have no idea what it is like to have to also worry about an embouchure?

Believing that judges have no bias is simply being bias yourself.

Quote:
Because band students all know what they're talking about?

Never said they did, but does someone who has never been in the jazz scene or played jazz commercially know stylistically how something should be played?

Quote:
And there's nothing wrong with that. That's just the way it is.

Nothing wrong with that? It then becomes a biased tryout. If I was judging you right now and I were to know your tone and give you a flat out zero because you disagree with my opinion on a trumpet forum ( ) there is nothing wrong with that?

Quote:
So if it's tomorrow, why are you here and not practicing?

Touche (not the posterior, but the dueling word)! By the way, please take no offense; I am simply trying to back my views .

P.S. I already practiced today
________
Herbal Vaporizer

Last edited by Wispy on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
gio trumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in vegas.. there is one top band.. and two bottom bands.... i got 3rd chair in the top band..... pretty good for a sh!tty audition...

director said i'm going to laugh once i see the honor band music we'll preform.... didnt know it would be that easy lol

btw:... we auditioned behind a screen so the judge wouldntk know who was playing
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wispy wrote:

My trumpet teacher
Speaking of bias, no bias there
Quote:
was a substitue for a couple of tryouts and related to me the quality of the people and the corruption. Would a saxophone player find it as easy to forgive a trumpet who missed a couple of physically demanding high notes as a trumpet player that knows what it takes? Would a drummer forgive a missed rhythm when they have no idea what it is like to have to also worry about an embouchure?

Believing that judges have no bias is simply being [SIC]bias yourself.
BS. I never said there was no bias. It's just not this big conspiracy you and many kids make it to be.

Quote:
Never said they did, but does someone who has never been in the jazz scene or played jazz commercially know stylistically how something should be played?

Sure. What do you define as "commercially" or "been in the scene"? Have you played "commercially" or "been in the scene" to know how something should be played? By your statements, if the answer is "No", you can't possibly. Just because someone is not actively gigging (or did) doesn't mean they don't know how something should sound. There are tons of people out there who don't even play an instrument who could tell.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that? It then becomes a biased tryout. If I was judging you right now and I were to know your tone and give you a flat out zero because you disagree with my opinion on a trumpet forum ( ) there is nothing wrong with that?

You're grabbing at straws now. Conversely, if you're judging and you hear a student who's tone and inerpretation you recognize, what are you going to do? Mind you, there's no time to get a sub, etc. It's only biased if the judge shows bias. How are you to know if you got a zero because of a previous argument or an abysmal interpretation? I've heard plenty of God awful things from people who thought they nailed it.

Quote:
P.S. I already practiced today

Only once?

As far as these honor band rants about how "unfair" and "unjust" they are, you must consider the source. I mean, if it's someone who never got in, and they start spouting off, it's just sour grapes from a kid who should only look at himself. Can they be biased? Sure. Get used to it, though. Things like this apply to all things and life, it's how you handle it and move on that matters.

R

9/11/01 Never forget those who died. Never forget those who killed them.
GMacDaddyTPO
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it changes too much, but one thing I failed to mention is that the Jazz judge that took all of his students into the band, (and none from any other school) was my ex-jazz band teacher from last year. He got a better offering at this other school and switched in the summer.

So far I like this post...

Quote:
Who cares what chair you got in what band. When you audition for this group next year or any other group for that matter, don't go there saying " I need to make this band or that band". Go to the audition and play the best that you can play! I once went to an audition, when I was 16 yrs old, for a professional gig with the attitude " All they can do is say NO". And I got the gig over some college guys, there was no goal in my mind other then play the best that I can. That is all that you can do.

Now when it is time to go and play in this band that you are not happy with, don't have a bad attitude, be an example to the guys around you of how to play at 100% of all of the time. That will rub off on the guys/gals sitting next to you. Who cares if you might be better then the first chair guy. Who cares!! Love what you do and it will show in your sound, technique and over all ability. Good Luck!!

Just wanted to let you know hummel, that you've changed my outlook on this a bit and I thank you for this advice. The last few years, since I've begun actively partaking in auditions and what not, I have always said, "Ok, I want to make this and this chair and this and this band." It never occured to me to just go in and play as best as I can. Stupid I know, but I had never thought of it.

I think with this attitude, I could perform a lot better in my auditions. I thank you .
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the reason that "honor" bands (etc) are a good idea, despite the shortfalls. It's one thing to learn to play - it's a whole nother game to learn to play under pressure. Performance experience is invaluable.
And then we have to learn that there really are players out there better than us ...

Ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: