• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stuffyness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyleL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Stuffyness Reply with quote

I've been using the simple approach of just thinking of take a nice full breath and then blowing it through the trumpet. This has helped me greatly most of the time. However there are periods where no matter how I try to free the breath, the notes come out stuffy and restricted. Today I had a really bad experience where no notes would speak. I got really frustrated and just put the horn down for a couple of hours and then came back. For some reason my tone had opened back up and the air flowed more freely.

I have had my braces off for about 1 year now, and am struggling with consisntency. Could this be causing the problem above? My chops didn't feel tired (which added to the frustration), but they did not seem in sink with the air. Should I be giving my lips more time to adjust to playing 3-4 hours a day?
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuffyness Reply with quote

KyleL wrote:
I've been using the simple approach of just thinking of take a nice full breath and then blowing it through the trumpet. This has helped me greatly most of the time. However there are periods where no matter how I try to free the breath, the notes come out stuffy and restricted. Today I had a really bad experience where no notes would speak. I got really frustrated and just put the horn down for a couple of hours and then came back. For some reason my tone had opened back up and the air flowed more freely.

I have had my braces off for about 1 year now, and am struggling with consisntency. Could this be causing the problem above? My chops didn't feel tired (which added to the frustration), but they did not seem in sink with the air. Should I be giving my lips more time to adjust to playing 3-4 hours a day?

Who's your trumpet teacher? How does she/he work on this issue with you?
KyleL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im studying with Charles Decker at Tennessee Tech University. He basically says its an air issue. He does alot of the AHH TOO exercises. They help, but on some days like today they don't.

P.S.-not saying that isnt the right way of going about things, but I was just wondering if anyone has an idea of what might be causeing this. Also, those were invisiline braces, so my it's not like my playing is really bad, there are just nagging consistency issues.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braces could be the reason (on or off) -- any significant change can cause consistency issues as your body adjusts. More practice time means you should also be resting more -- maybe you're just pushing too hard?

If you get frustrated, put the horn down and listen to some music (doesn't have to be trumpet, or brass -- good music is worth listening to, no matter the instrumentation or genre). If you need to keep playing, try getting a nice, gentle, rich middle G (in the staff) in your head and playing it for a while. Let the tension flow out of your body, breathe and exhale into the horn to sound the note. Frustration leads to tension, which hurts the sound, which causes more frustration... take a break, as you've been doing! Rome wasn't built in a day, and slow improvement is better than quick frustration from pushing too hard, too fast.

As Dave said, your teacher is in better position than any of us to assess your progress. We all have good and bad days. As time goes on, the "bad" become better than our earlier "best". Your (my) goal is to become a musician who plays trumpet, not just a trumpet player.

HTH - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: