• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Teachers in Chicago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamStrad37G

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Teachers in Chicago Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

I've barely ever posted on here, but I've been lurking for about 5 years now.

I will be graduating from college in the spring, and will be moving to Chicago with my brother in the fall. Grad school is neither appealing nor affordable right now, so my hope is to study privately with someone in Chicago rather intensively and take some time to work out a lot of kinks in my playing with proper guidance.

The kind of person I'm looking for is a teacher who specializes in making the trumpet easy and enjoyable again. Through my undergrad, I feel like I, through my fault or not, have done a pretty good job complicating every aspect of trumpet playing, and have now reached a point where I'm coming up to my senior recital, completely unhappy with the way I play, and the guidance I've gotten from my current teacher. One of the positive things I feel like I've come away with, is a set of very big ears, and an ability to hear very subtle things in my own playing. Because of this, I feel like I've come to a point where I'm just not happy with this and that, but am unable to find a way to fix them...

Because my teacher is a "Chicago School" type player, i.e. Barb and Charlie student, I am wary about studying with them because of the similarity in styles. I understand how good they are, I just feel like I need to maybe find someone who is the complete polar opposite.

I would appreciate any input people have.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend Kevin Hartman in Milwaukee, WI. I just finished grad school with him. He posts on here occaisonally as kghtpt. He helped me a great deal with a good no-nonsense approach to trumpet playing.
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that. Kevin is both a fine player and teacher, and he won't mess with your head. Check out the recording of the Bohme sextet with the Asbury Brass and Herseth. That will give you a good example of Kevin's playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: