• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Did Doc ever say anything about . . . ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Doc saying that practicing piccolo trumpet was great because it taught us to use much less air quantity for the upper register.

But did he ever say anything about whether or not it's beneficial to practice cornet along with trumpet? I've been picking up my cornet somewhat frequently lately, and at times I feel like a total wannabe on it, and at other times I feel like I can do no wrong on it (hey, kinda like trumpet, eh?).

I'm just wondering if the cornet mouthpiece is interfering with the development of my trumpet chops, or if it's contributing.

I must say that I never practice my flugelhorn. In fact, I don't take it on gigs unless I'm told to bring it. I never felt that it contributed anything of value to my trumpet playing, and if anything, I always feel that it holds me back.

On the other hand, when I practice my bass trumpet, I feel that I make progress in leaps and bounds on trumpet. It's unfortunate that I don't feel compelled to practice both bass trumpet and trumpet daily, but I do enjoy practicing both cornet and trumpet.

One other thing: on my cornet I stretched out the valve springs per Doc's recommendation to do that to improve my technique. When I go back to my trumpet (with it's non-stretched strings) I can tell that my fingers are, indeed, much stronger. In that regard, practicing my cornet is definitely beneficial.

But how 'bout from the standpoint of chops? Any comments?

Thanks!

Rich
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-30 22:49, BeboppinFool wrote:
...On the other hand, when I practice my bass trumpet, I feel that I make progress in leaps and bounds on trumpet...

hi Rich
Question back to you. what trumpet related benefits do you find from playing your Bass Trumpet?
---just to let you know I am paying attention and appreciate what you guys have to say here.
PC King
Rich - also still enjoying your books - and I am supposed to order some for my sax teacher (I forgot)

[ This Message was edited by: pair of kings on 2002-08-31 13:50 ]
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich;
Check your placement and angle of instrument and your arms on Cornet.
WEG
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-31 00:00, pair of kings wrote:
hi Rich
Question back to you. what trumpet related benefits do you find from playing your Bass Trumpet?

Most of the time the practice I do on my bass trumpet makes my trumpet embouchure feel indestructible. The other night I did a gig (with Paul Garrett) and picked it up a few times, and when I put it down I felt like I had added a major third to my range.

There are those times, however, when I play it some and overdo it and then my trumpet chops feel thick and unresponsive. It usually takes pounding it in on bass trumpet for a minute or so after playing trumpet to make playing bass trumpet feel "normal" and then the harder I pound the better I feel and the better the bass trumpet sounds. The danger in that is that if I don't go back to trumpet before I've spent, say, 4 or 5 minutes of playing bass trumpet, I get that thick, sluggish feel in my trumpet embouchure.

Now, if I'm able to wait about 5 minutes before I have to play my trumpet again, then everything's fine. Anybody ever see the way Clark Terry goes back and forth between flugelhorn and trumpet? If I try to do that between trumpet and bass trumpet I don't exactly get enough time on each to feel fully comfortable, but enough time on each to make the other one feel foreign for several moments.

In the long run, though, I'm convinced that doubling is making my chops stronger than only playing trumpet.

But I was really writing to say that I'm playing more cornet than ever these days, and I'm thinking that as long as I balance my trumpet playing with my cornet playing, the cornet seems to have no negative effect on my trumpet playing. Now if I could just force myself to balance the time between trumpet, cornet, and bass trumpet!

Not enough hours in a day sometimes, are there?

Rich
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich;
Remember Doc used to say East & West placement does not have a negtive effect, but North & South does. Also, doubling as long as you place over your tpt setting you are OK. The exception is those of us that are sensitive to rims (I am in this classification).
WEG
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-07 13:06, bgibson wrote:
Remember Doc used to say East & West placement does not have a negtive effect, but North & South does. Also, doubling as long as you place over your tpt setting you are OK. The exception is those of us that are sensitive to rims (I am in this classification).

I think it's interesting that the slight difference in resistance between playing cornet and trumpet can sometimes wreak havoc with my trumpet playing. I think maybe I'm not doing enough of both.

For awhile there I was very disciplined between trumpet and bass trumpet, playing a drill on one, then putting it down and echoing it on the other. I'm thinking that might be what's lacking in my practice lately.

One night recently I was practicing trumpet and cornet, and nothing was feeling exactly right. So I put them both down, and about an hour later just picked up the trumpet and felt invincible. If I could figure out a formula for this; you know I'd write a book and make a bundle.

But I'm thinking that the whole "rest as much as you play" concept has a parallel in doubling on more than one brass instrument. Maybe "play one as much as the other" with sufficient rest. I wasn't a doubler when I was with Doc, and would love to know what he would have recommended, or what he did recommend to other doublers.

I do remember him cautioning against too much muted practice. That could be right in there with what I've been trying to say above.

Where is everybody? Insights, anybody?

Rich
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich;
Remember the Knock it in and baby it in warm ups?
As long as it is the same setting and you place over the smaller setting it is OK.
Exception is that some people are sensitive to rims.
This is what Doc told me.
WEG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: