• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

No place to play

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Stan.... so I turn on the TH after listening to Larry Carlton and friends on studio Jams on BetonJazz playing Misty in a shuffle style... and I'm sitting here doing the same with BIAB and Misty (as a shuffle) and first thing I read on the TH is about your "old" 70's LB that I am sitting here playing.... do you want it back??? JUST KIDDING !!!! I would never get rid of this thing.... it is the coolest horn I have ever played. It is dark, full.... better range than the $2-3 grand horns I had before... There is something different about this LB as my other LB I got after I aquired yours is more on the bright side like my MLB Severinsen. It's just a different horn than the my other Severinsens... a noticeable difference in sound.

anyway... getzenbob... do you have any play along stuff to just enjoy playing at home. It's great to play for others that will enjoy your efforts... but I don't think you have to leave the house to feel successful with your comeback and playing abilities. I play every weekend (90% guitar) ... one weekend a month is a supper club and then I do lots more on the horn.... but my biggest enjoyment is sitting here playing all the tunes I love to play that I wouldn't normally get to play in situations on the job. Maybe you are already into some fun play along CDs, etc... but just thought I would mention it. I do most of my playing here with Band In A Box but I'm sure there are background CDs you can find for any style of music you want to play from jazz to classical.

Have fun with the playing opportunities that come your way.

Hurray for the OLD horns !!!!!
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich. You have no idea how good it makes me feel that you are enjoying that horn so much. It just feels good to play; what else can I say? I think that horn has found a great home with you, Rich. Wail away!

Getzenbob: Rich is right about using those playalong. I'm no where as good as you guys, but I bought a whole stack of playalong cds w/books--from latin jazz to Bach. I really have a great time playing with a band backing me up. Got my wife, who plays the flute, talked into them too. Some have 2 and 3 parts so we can play duets or I can switch off. I've never tried Band In A Box but have heard good things about it.

Stan
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Bob- I hope the thing with the band works out now that the director has given you a call. I had the same problem when I started a comeback about three years ago. I started out with no where to play but the local Shrine Temple ( I usually play the National Anthem as a trumpet solo) but a friend of mine asked me to come and play with the MS Baptist Symphony Orchestra. I did and have been a member ever since.

One of the other players in the Orchestra remembered me and called me to help form a Municipal Band. We started that with 27 players and now have about 90. We have gotten so many really good trumpet players since then (one guy used to play lead with Carnival Cruise Lines, another used to play with a symphony in another town, another has a performance degree from LSU, etc) that I have moved myself from playing first trumpet down to third- a lot easier to play anyway.

Now we have formed a stage band out of the municipal band and I play second part in that. I also play in the orchestra in my own church.

So you see- Just keep networking with other players and there is no telling what may show up in the future. My wife now complains about being a trumpet widow. Like I tell her- There are worse hobbies I could have.
mouthpieces
Schilke 13C4, 12B4, 12A4
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Think of Starting Your Own Quartet or Quintet Reply with quote

jfmaulding wrote:
Instead of calling to play in someone elses...I began purchasing music. I got together with some other musicians and we began reading through the music.

Guess what? Musicians are now calling me. I guess that word's gotten around that the charts are pretty good.

It can be your game if you own the football.

Not just an 'atta boy - wanna make sure everybody knows that's how Maynard did it.

Ray
elExtranjero
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: No place to play Reply with quote

getzenbob wrote:
...My problem? I can't find anywhere to play! ... Bob

Bob, I don't think this was already posted... here's a link to a "Community Band" page I found with a "Community Band" search on Google. It has quite a few NC listings. I'm not familiar enough with your area to know which one of those or surrounding states is close to you though.

Good luck!
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob:

You've gotten a lot of good ideas already. I just wanted to stress trying to hook up with a church "ensemble". The music is usually easy (or at least predictable chords) The folks are SUPER nice. And you never have to worry about getting a seat in church!

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on many factors, the New Horizon's band movement might be a resource. Started as a senior (retired) band program, some new horizons bands attract musicians of all levels, they are just 55+ years old. I sat in with our Iowa City band prepared to show them up. It was like the time I ran a 10k and old fat peole kept passing me. Because they have time to play and practice, there are some gfood players along with some who never stopped being good.

The website includes link to all band locations.

New Horizons Bands

1963 Connstellation
trumpet271

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am trying yet another comeback and just got plugged into a community band. I am interested in playing in church as well so I was wondering what kind of church groups are out there. Is there a certain church that tends to have trumpet work? Are there churches that need trumpets week in and week out or are we talking Christmas and Easter?
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

271:

I'd probably start looking at some web sites of local churches (may have links to "Ministries" that include the worship/music ministry or a separate "Worship" or "Music" link.) After that, perhaps call the music ministers at locations that look promising. I was fortunate in that I had some good friends at a church with a strong choir/orchestra program. Now is also probably a good time of the year to ask neighbors and friends if they attended any Christmas programs locally and heard any brass. Best wishes in your pursuit.
jazz4yvonne
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab your hat and horn and play on the streets.
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet271 wrote:
I too am trying yet another comeback and just got plugged into a community band. I am interested in playing in church as well so I was wondering what kind of church groups are out there. Is there a certain church that tends to have trumpet work? Are there churches that need trumpets week in and week out or are we talking Christmas and Easter?
If you go to a church, check out the weekly bulletin. Often, they will advertise the need for musicians--that is how I found a spot. Or, as suggested, just go up and ask the director if they could use an extra element in their ministry. It would be strange to hear a "no", but if their is a limited amount of space, etc... it could be. Never hurts to ask, though.

Also, if you want to hit other churches, many of their bulletins are online now, and you can find the names and contact info for a lot of the people without ever leaving your monitor. Just Google "churches" and your home town for a list.

Many churches have at least one "high" service every week. That is, with lots of music and song. It depends on the size of the church, but I am sure you can find weekly play, not just the holiday programs.

Good luck.

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
trumpet271

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll check out some church websites.

Jazz: I don't know if my small town is the kind of place where people would appreciate a guy standing on a street corner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: