• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Logic, or Not!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Logic, or Not! Reply with quote

Radio telescopes peer into the heavenlies 24/7 looking for signs of intelligence out there. What would be a sign that intelligence is out there? That's easy, if instead of random noise actual patterns are discovered it could indicate extraterrestrial intelligence. That sounds like a reasonable premise, but the scientists seem oblivious to the obvious implications of the multilayered error-correcting digital codes already discovered within the human genome! Seems that the same type of scientific logic would confirm the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence . . . our Creator!

On another front, the presence of heartbeat and brain waves is used as an indication that life is present in an otherwise comatose person. Why would the same logic not be applied to a pre-born child which has a heartbeat at 18 days and discernable brain waves at 40 days after conception . . . just wondering?
MilesD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Logic, or Not! Reply with quote

edtaylor wrote:
Radio telescopes peer into the heavenlies 24/7 looking for signs of intelligence out there. What would be a sign that intelligence is out there? That's easy, if instead of random noise actual patterns are discovered it could indicate extraterrestrial intelligence. That sounds like a reasonable premise, but the scientists seem oblivious to the obvious implications of the multilayered error-correcting digital codes already discovered within the human genome! Seems that the same type of scientific logic would confirm the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence . . . our Creator!

On another front, the presence of heartbeat and brain waves is used as an indication that life is present in an otherwise comatose person. Why would the same logic not be applied to a pre-born child which has a heartbeat at 18 days and discernable brain waves at 40 days after conception . . . just wondering?

Go rent a DVD called Contact starring Jodi Foster man. This movie is great and deals specifically with what you are discussing in addition to the Creationist VS Scientist debate. Guess who wins? Heres a review on the movie
http://contact-themovie.warnerbros.com/main.html

Trumpet: Red Maestro and Yamaha
Mouthpiece: Holton Heim

david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milesd:

i was very disatified w/contact. the book was a good read & the movie was well made, but the story was just against itself from the beginning.
sagan got preachy about agnosticism...that's just too silly a way to deliver his idea.

dj
MilesD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david johnson wrote:
milesd:

i was very disatified w/contact. the book was a good read & the movie was well made, but the story was just against itself from the beginning.
sagan got preachy about agnosticism...that's just too silly a way to deliver his idea.

dj

Hey David

See thats the prob with me...I hate to read unless its music. The only book I ever read THEN saw the movie was Star Trek 2 the Wrath of Khan way back in 1982 when I was a boy. I admit there was a lotta detail in there that wasnt in the movie. I kept thinking...geez man where this thing that happened in the book, and that

I agree that he got a little preachy about agnosticism, but I think that was a big part of the story cuz the absolute of religion can't really be proven...its faith. Being a Christian I didnt like the way Fosters character was constantly turning to the dogma of science to constantly explain everything. But that was an important point cuz of the way Jodis character 'changed' and understood that everything cant be explained, after going to the alien world When she kept saying...'I had no idea'

Was a cool movie man, and my Girlfriend and I love Jodi foster movies

I thought contact was very well done but youre right...it got silly at times

Trumpet: Red Maestro and Yamaha
Mouthpiece: Holton Heim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: