• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sidney Baker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure where to ask this. It didn't seem apporopriate for The Lounge. And since Sidney Baker was principal trumper player for CSO before Bud Herseth, I thought perhaps some of the folks here could help me. I want to know if he is still alive. He'd be in his mid to late 80s now. He was a teacher of mine. Not in the private lesson sense, but he was one of my high school music teachers. He gave me many tips, and counseled me as a mentor would. He may as well have been my private teacher for all the positive inspiration he sent my way. Haven't seen or heard from him in 28 years. Has anyone here heard of him? Would appreciate any info. Thank you.
Steve-o

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do only a little better than that. I took a few private lessons from him in the mid-80's at his apartment. He was, by far, my pickiest teacher; but very kind. I think someone at the late great Giardinelli's turned me on to him.

If memory serves, he played in the Frederick Stock-led Chicago Sym, prior to Reiner.
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valvepimp

You could try to contact Norman Schweikert who is still or was a horn player in the CSO.

I've read in a couple of places that he has compiled information on many performers from different orchestras with a view to publishing a book. The book is called "A Bio-Bibliographical Index of Symphony and Opera Musicians in the Major U.S. Organizations, 1842-1992" (This is from "Arnold Jacobs:Song and Wind" by Brian Frederiksen Page 57, but I've never seen a copy.)

You could also try the CSO archivist if they have one, though they may not have information beyond his membership of the Orchestra.

Incidently, I believe Sydney Baker was originally called Sydney Beckermann.

Andrew Tomlinson

[ This Message was edited by: Atomlinson on 2003-09-30 02:11 ]
trumpetfox1234

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a CSO Alumni Association for former members. Ask Carolee Iott Personnel Diorector at the CSO, about Baker, and if she doesn't, contact Frank in the Archives Department. Call their main number and ask for Archives first and then Carolee if Frank doesn't know.

http://www.trumpetworkspress.com
Assistant Principal/Third Trumpet
Ravinia Festival Orchestra
www.trumpetworkspress.com
Jon Baker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, just contact me at jjbaker@panix.com Dad (Sydney Baker) is alive and well, if a bit hard of hearing, at age 84.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: