• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My 3rd finger doesn't work!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stradlover
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: My 3rd finger doesn't work! Reply with quote

HA! Since my comeback, I have discovered that my use of my 3rd finger is ridiculous. It cracks me up. Thank God most of what I play is lead, or I would have a nervous breakdown. Over Christmas, I had to play the solo cornet part on Sleigh Ride, and I could hardly get the stinking finger to move fast enough to keep up. Got out my old Clark Studies this past week and laughed at the first couple that I couln't even play because the old 3rd finger has apparently done nothing sinch 1990 except type! HA! Time to wake him up!

Anybody else have fingering troubles in the lower register but didn't in the past?
4-Valve Getzen Eterna Flugel
Yamaha 6810S Piccolo Trumpet
Yamaha 2330 Cornet
Stomvi Titan Eb Soprano Cornet
Pocket Trumpet for the car
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those third parts always seem so much harder than the first! Pretzel fingers...

Working exercises slowly really does help. Play them as slowly as you need to get them perfectly clean, and make sure you are pushing quickly, firmly, and fully each valve. Gradually speed up. It takes time!

I like using a variety of sources, Colin, Flow studies, Arbans, etc. to provide fodder for this practice. Scales will work too, especiall;y chromatic scales and fifths down low. And no, I don't do practice them as often as I should!

Just to check -- make sure you keep your pinky out of the hook! Many people, myself included, have a tendon which connects the third and pinky fingers, so if you "tie down" your pinky, then your third finger also slows down.

HTH - Don
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

That's an interesting point about the tendon. I have never found my fingering to differ, with the pinky in the hook or out, but many teachers have forced me to leave it out. (at least while they were around )

It is nice to hear that there is a physical reason why people find it helps. Do you have any reference material on this? I'm curious about it, for instance you say "many people" implying that some don't.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-L-A-R-K-E T-E-C-H-N-I-C-A-L S-T-U-D-I-E-S!!!
If you do them as part of Systematic Approach by Gordon, you will develope a lot more than just dexterity . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since my comeback, I have discovered that my use of my 3rd finger is ridiculous

Thanks for introducing this thread... I thought it was just me! We played a piece in our Christmas program this year (I'm the only trumpet player, so I'm on 1st all the time as well) written in F# and the 011 to 110 to 010 triplets about killed me. I was almost to the point that I was going to ask the music director if we could take the music a bit slower. THAT would've been embarrassing, wouldn't it?

Of course, Don is exactly correct.... practice slowly, perfectly and build speed incrementally. Ha.... patience is a virtue (yeah, right.)
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #14 and #16 of the Charlier 36 Etudes for working on dexterity. One
works your slurs and finger dexterity, the other works double tonguing and
finger dexterity.
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Don,

That's an interesting point about the tendon. I have never found my fingering to differ, with the pinky in the hook or out, but many teachers have forced me to leave it out. (at least while they were around )

It is nice to hear that there is a physical reason why people find it helps. Do you have any reference material on this? I'm curious about it, for instance you say "many people" implying that some don't.

Well, it helps cut down pressure, too, so there's more than one reason to keep it out.

As for references, I have been told by doctors, and vaguely remember it from my college physiology class. Gray's Anatomy (the book, not the show) points it out, at least my old (70's vintage) copy does. I think it was discussed in an ITG article, but would have to dig... It's related to the reason some people can do the Vulcan sign and some can't. If you can put your hand on a table in normal resting position (finger tips and palm touching with fingers slightly curled, assuming decent muscle tone) and easily move your third finger without moving the pinky and vice versa, then you don't have the "problem".

HTH - Don
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to my hiatus I played classical, jazz, mexican, polish, etc, but very little choir accompaniment.

Since seriously beginning to play again I play in a church setting and have I ever learned to play in sharps. I always thought the Christmas hymns were challenge in the past since they were normally in 2 sharps which ended up being four sharps for trumpets.

Little did I know...

Many of the charts I read now are in four, five, six and seven sharps.

Now I am not sure I can play the flats.
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fundamental guitar string is E, putting us in F#. And, lots of music is written in sharps 'cuz the strings and singers like it (I had a singer tell me it sounded "brighter"). I see lots of A, B, E concert in our praise music...

Welcome to the club! At least it's a forgiving audience... - Don
mpre53
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
Don,

Well, it helps cut down pressure, too, so there's more than one reason to keep it out.

As for references, I have been told by doctors, and vaguely remember it from my college physiology class. Gray's Anatomy (the book, not the show) points it out, at least my old (70's vintage) copy does. I think it was discussed in an ITG article, but would have to dig... It's related to the reason some people can do the Vulcan sign and some can't. If you can put your hand on a table in normal resting position (finger tips and palm touching with fingers slightly curled, assuming decent muscle tone) and easily move your third finger without moving the pinky and vice versa, then you don't have the "problem".

HTH - Don

I have the "problem" in my right hand, but not in my left.

Maybe I should have played a string instrument instead
somedaylikechet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
(I had a singer tell me it sounded "brighter"). I see lots of A, B, E concert in our praise music...

That's something that I still don't get: How can one key sound different from another? If the choir/ orchestra/ band plays in F or in G, shouldn't it sound the same to the audience? Only few people can really hear and tell the pitch. Most of us just notice intervals.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I severely have the problem in both hands, but I can do Don's curled finger exercise no problem, indicating I don't have the problem. What can I say, I'm weird. This is part of the reason I immediately gravitated toward lead - that and the fact that Maynard Ferguson's "Chameleon" LP is what motivated me to choose trpt over tbone.

Anyway, the problem is overcome by moving the pinky in sync w/ the 3rd finger. Don't ever sacrifice cleanliness or evenness for speed.

Ray
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somedaylikechet: Don't ask me! Just reporting what I've been told... It is true that, with a fundamental of E, guitars favor that key.

razeontherock: There are more complete tests, but I don't recall them. I figure I can tell if I have problems, and I need to figure out what works no matter what the issue is.

You can have the two hands be different (mine are, and naturally the right is the one with the most "pinky tie" going on... ).
KevinPierce
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself the tech studies book, F# will give you a nice wake up
dcjacobson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what worked for me:

1. Get one of those hand exercisers that golfers and tennis players use to strengthen their grip. Pay special attention to strengthening that third finger.

2. Take a tip from Claude Gordon, and "bang those valves down" during your exercises.

3. Practice Clarke Technical Studies #4, and finger the in-staff E's and A's with the third valve. This is another suggestion from Claude Gordon in his "Systematic Approach" book.

Good luck,
Don
48 and still learning!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: