• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Teacher recommendation wanted in N.VA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Teacher recommendation wanted in N.VA. Reply with quote

Teacher wanted in N.VA.

I live in McLean, VA and have started playing again (3 days ago) after about a 20 yr. layoff. I could tell you how grim I sound, but perhaps the fact that I started piano lessons in July and sound a lot better on the piano than the cornet will give anyone interested an idea of where I am at the moment.

I grew up playing the Arban book and sight reading, but what I would like to learn now is improvisation, chords, etc. so I can play the kind of things I grew up hearing Bobby Hackett playing. (http://homepage.mac.com/billh96007/2005_Calendars/PhotoAlbum125.html)

Another very pertinent question is the common one about developing tone, lip strength and endurance. I bought a new cornet, which arrived a day earlier than I expected, so my planned day of rest went by the wayside, and now my lip muscles are very tired. Practicing every day has always been everyone’s rule, but it seems to me it is better to give these lip muscles a chance to rest - at least at first. Oh - I am 63 years old (and that is hard to imagine...).
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welome to TH and welcome back to playing! Can't help you with a teacher in your area, but I can give you some tips on coming back as quickly as possible:

1) Start with soft, in-the-staff playing, and play only for 20 or 30 seconds before resting an equal period. (This is different and much more beneficial than playing for half an hour straight and then resting.) Limit your total play/rest sessions to no more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time. In a few weeks you can start to add time.

2) Learn the major, minor, mixolydian, and blues scales. Work at arpeggiating the 1-3-5-7 of each. You'll find a handy, downloadable scale syllabus on the Jamey Aebersold Website at www.jazzbooks.com

3) Speaking of Aebersold, get some of his basic playalongs and begin working them into your playing sessions.

4) If you want to sound like Bobby Hackett, listen carefully to some of his recordings. "Live at the Roosevelt Grill" is a good one. Start playing along with him and you'll find you'll begin to assimilate his style.

5) Join a band as soon as possible.

6) Try to make everything you play as musical as possible. Play even your Arbans stuff as if you were performing it.

7) Continue with your efforts to find a teacher and look especially for one who's strong on jazz improv and duet playing. It'll be fun to trade fours with him/her.

Good luck, Bill!

"The notes are there - find them.ā€¯ Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billh, I'm about 30 miles away from you, near Woodbridge, if you'd like to get together for duets or to talk trumpet.
If you're married, our wives could "bond", too!

Jim gave you some great advice, and you came to the right place: trumpetherald is a fantastic resource (but you might have to sift through some of the not-so-great stuff, too.)

I spent the past 3-4 years working on Caruso and BE, and I recommend you do some research in those dedicated forums.
- Brian

P.S. I'm 48 and have several students, none of whom are 63, but their combined ages is way over that! (that's a joke)
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH, and back to the trumpet/cornet!

You've gotten some good advice above. Another alternative in your hunt for a teacher is to take a peek at the registry -- I see a couple of people who are near you. They might or might not be the right people to teach you, but they might be able to point you to a suitable teacher. (Note the B_Starry is one of those people ...)

Happy hunting!
iambrassman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Teacher recommendation wanted in N.VA. Reply with quote

Billh wrote:

...and now my lip muscles are very tired. Practicing every day has always been everyone’s rule, but it seems to me it is better to give these lip muscles a chance to rest - at least at first. Oh - I am 63 years old (and that is hard to imagine...).

Congratulations on the comeback! I have always beleived in listening to your lips. If you feel like you need a day off, I think you should take it. At my peak playing I liked to take a day at least once every 2 or 3 weeks that I would only play bout 10 or 15 minutes at the most, and keep that very low and very soft. Sometimes I would buzz on a trombone mouthpiece instead of practicing at all -- -- my room-mate at the time (also a trumpeter) called trombone mpc buzzing a "lip jacuzzi" to speed the healing.

By the way... I'm the youngster in many of these comeback threads at 35 years old... but I have 3 young children, so the gray hair has begun...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: