• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why can't I remember this stuff?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadams4458

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Why can't I remember this stuff? Reply with quote

It turns out that I have an interesting, and very irritating problem on my hands. Relatively recent events have left me unable to read music. I learned how to read music when I was around five years old, but I'll be darned if I can see anything but a jumble of lines and markings, now. I suppose that I should just be happy that I can still remember my last name most of the time. Oddly, I can still read Spanish, but I sure can't understand it or speak it very well any more, and my ability to read and speak English is relatively unchanged, even if I do occasionally blank out in the middle of a conversation.This is very frustrating.

Back to the problem at hand. I can still remember the fingerings and I can certainly play scales. Actually, I can't really remember it, to be honest, but somehow I can do it. I have good tone, still. I just don't know how to read music anymore. Obviously I now need to relearn a few things. The big question? How? Where do I begin? I'm completely lost.

If you had suffered from a bit of brain scrambling, how would you go about learning music all over again? Should I get one of those beginner's books and start from scratch?

All of your suggestions, ideas, and comments will be appreciated.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still remember fingerings and scales, you have a big head start. I'd recommend doing just what you suggested: get beginning trumpet or cornet book and start from page one. You might be very pleased at how quickly things start coming back to you.

You might also seek out a teacher who can guide you. Be sure to take it easy and not overdo it at first. Rest as much as you play, meaning play 20 or 30 seconds, then rest for the same period. You can use the rest period to mentally review the bars you're working on.

Good luck, and hang in there!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Beginner's books" is a great idea. When I first started coming back two years ago, I challenged myself to work through the simple methods books and play everything as perfectly as possible. I also found that the brief discussion of basic topics (notation, how to count, etc.) were good refreshers and there was more than one occasion when I said, "Oh, yeah, I forgot about that!"

Best wishes on your progress!
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Why can't I remember this stuff? Reply with quote

Kadams4458 wrote:
It turns out that I have an interesting, and very irritating problem on my hands. Relatively recent events have left me unable to read music. I learned how to read music when I was around five years old, but I'll be darned if I can see anything but a jumble of lines and markings, now. I suppose that I should just be happy that I can still remember my last name most of the time. Oddly, I can still read Spanish, but I sure can't understand it or speak it very well any more, and my ability to read and speak English is relatively unchanged, even if I do occasionally blank out in the middle of a conversation.This is very frustrating.

Back to the problem at hand. I can still remember the fingerings and I can certainly play scales. Actually, I can't really remember it, to be honest, but somehow I can do it. I have good tone, still. I just don't know how to read music anymore. Obviously I now need to relearn a few things. The big question? How? Where do I begin? I'm completely lost.

If you had suffered from a bit of brain scrambling, how would you go about learning music all over again? Should I get one of those beginner's books and start from scratch?

All of your suggestions, ideas, and comments will be appreciated.

Based on your note, I assume you're under a doctor's care -- if so, this might be something to discuss with him/her. Absent that input, I'd also suggest working with the beginners books, since it sounds like you're truly in the situation of needing to re-learn this skill, as well as connecting the musical notation to your trumpet playing. You've obviously retained some "kinetic memory" even if you've lost some cognitive content.

Keep us posted!
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any of the old music that you used to play stored away somewhere--maybe get that out and try and play it. It might spark more memory than grabbing a new beginner book. I did that--it is funny to look at all the marks and annotations I made back in elementary school--and why did I need to bring $00.65 on Friday???

Good luck and keep at it. It will come back to you.

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
Kadams4458

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Why can't I remember this stuff? Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:

Based on your note, I assume you're under a doctor's care -- if so, this might be something to discuss with him/her. Absent that input, I'd also suggest working with the beginners books, since it sounds like you're truly in the situation of needing to re-learn this skill, as well as connecting the musical notation to your trumpet playing. You've obviously retained some "kinetic memory" even if you've lost some cognitive content.

Keep us posted!

That's exactly it. The cognitive stuff is just gone. When I started playing again over a year ago, I remember being able to just pick up a sheet of music I had never seen before, and play it. Well, as well as my chops would allow. I can't do that now, and I doubt it's just going to come back to me. On a positive note, I still seem to be able to learn new things as quickly as ever, so maybe this won't be too bad.

Would anyone like to suggest a good beginner's book? Musically speaking, I've essentially been reduced back to a 4th grade kid, but with nice tone and good range. Maybe there's some kind of adult beginner's book? I'd really like to try and stay away from too much Mary had a Little Lamb, if at all possible.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. I really appreciate your help.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, they're all kind of the same. Check ebay --- you can usually pick them up for a dollar or two. I'd offer to send you one myself, but I re-sold them all last fall

If I get a chance to browse ebay myself later today, I'll post some links here.

Later that same day.... (just a cursory search through Musical Instruments/Instructional Books/CDs and Musical Instruments/Sheet Music/Songbooks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trumpet-Cornet-LOT-3-BELWIN-BAND-BUILDER-Save-over-60_W0QQitemZ7315901596QQcategoryZ43391QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/B-Flat-CORNET-TRUMPET-FIRST-DIVISION-BAND-BELWIN-3-1964_W0QQitemZ7371723978QQcategoryZ43391QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/BELWIN-CORNET-METHOD-Bb-TRUMPET-BOOKS-1-2-3_W0QQitemZ7382758589QQcategoryZ41778QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Standard-of-Excellence-Comprehensive-Band-Trumpet-Book_W0QQitemZ7382839132QQcategoryZ41778QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Kadams4458

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow. The third auction down for the three Belwin books blew my mind. Those are the exact same three books that I had when I was a kid. I thought they were old, then. Now they're really old.

I might just pick them up for practical/nostalgic reasons.

Thanks for the links.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: