• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Injuries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
85schilkeb3
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Injuries Reply with quote

Hey all..

I was thinking about this the other day and was curious to hear how different people dealt with different injuries that affected their trumpet playing.

I myself had broken my arm, hand and middle finger all on the right hand/arm.

I was able to play will all of these injuries but I had limited dexterity. Once I had taken off off all of my casts and splints I found it hard to work back my muscles and get coordianiton. I worked a lot of finger exercies... such as Clarkes Vizzutti ECT.

Interested in hearing your comments

Vince
Monette B2
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

time time time. Just takes a little time...

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encountered a very serious injury while I was in 7th grade.

I was pushing hard to gain range and suddenly found that I had the gurgle inside my ribcage on my right side. I went to a doctor and learned that I had blown a hole in my lung and had air entering a space between the lining of my lung and my ribcage. I lost about three months as I waited for my lung to heal and reinjured the same place twice more over the next ten years.

This is why you never want to push super hard.
dave belknap
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: injuries Reply with quote

Once each week, I devote my daily practice routine to playing left handed. Because I make my living as a trumpet/cornet/flugelhorn player, down time for a hand injury is not an option. I've done this optional hand routine for nearly sixty years, hence my dexterity re: fingering with the left hand, is quite good.

A chap from my old home town was the winner of the old national contest (trumpet/cornet division) TWICE. His name was Richard Turner. The town is Ashtabula, Ohio. On the Wednesday just prior to the contest, Richard ran his bicycle into the municipal trolley car. He broke two fingers on his right hand. His solo was Del Staigers' CARNIVAL OF VENICE. Richard went home. The neighborhood doctor fixed up the fingers, but Richard knew that fingering via the right hand was not an option. He set about practicing LEFT HANDED. Not only did he master the technique.....he won the contest in Detroit, Michigan. Bear in mind that there was only one number one rating given at the nationals. If there were 200 hundred cornet/trumpet contestants, some poor bloke received a 200 for a rating.
Turner went back the following year and just for laughs, alternated hands bewixt movements of Herman Bellstedt's NAPOLI. Prior to executing his second winning performance, Turner told the judge to open "a couple of windows"......."it's much too hot in this room". The judge's assistant obliged. Those looking on, applauded. Once again, Richard Turner was NUMBER ONE!! Not only did Mr. Turner master the cornet (a French Besson) but he also proved that he had a major league set of "stones". Needless to say, Turner never became caught up in goofy theories on chops or "dubba Cs". He simply played the instrument, with a vengeance!! As I recall, Turner's range stopped at G above high C. I doubt that he considered it an impediment.

Cheers,

Dave Belknap
Trumpet
Local #47 American Federation of Musicians
Hollywood, CA
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two rather serious injuries in subsequent summers two and three years ago (oar to the chops on a rafting trip, baseball on a cold day during warmup so I didn't see how bad it was until hours later, in the doctor's office). I was concerned I'd never play the same (or maybe hopeful... ) but both times recovered just fine (for better or worse!) It did take alot of time, patience, and careful practice starting up again.

There are many, many tales of trumpet players getting smashed chops and coming back strong. - Don
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke my left wrist in high school, and had to practice all summer by placing the bottom of the valves on top of the cast and serious use of the octave key. As I played a Bundy at the time, it made no noticable difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: