• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

just another range question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetkid11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do any of you ever just have one of those days when your range and endurance are just really good? when its just like really easy to play and you just play better than you do any other day?

i dont really know how to explain it very well aside from saying that its a "good chops day" that i get occasionally. I dont even know if you ever had one of these or know what im talking about, but if you do, could you try to tell me what causes this or how i can have more of these? because today i had one of them and i hit my very first DHC! it was really cool!!

thanks for your help
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...This is usually due to ALL your physical/mental variables coming into co-ordination/alignment for one or more reasons enabling you to RIDE THE AIRSTREAM and get your notes/pitches for little effort. Hardenberger calls it "getting your notes for free!"

WELL DONE!!!---REMEMBER HOW IT FELT ON ALL PITCHES NOT JUST THE DHC AND REPEAT ON ALL SUBSEQUENT DAYS!!!

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
trumpetkid11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks roddy. by the way, great site! i think its really well done.
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you are talking about! I had a day just like that on Friday. Ally my playing was phenomenal. Range was through the roof, endurace was limitless. THen saturday rolled around, and my chops were crap because I beat my lips too much on friday. Next time, i will have to control myself so I dont' do any damage.
etrump

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently started keeping a journal of each practice day.

I write down how long I practice, how I felt, anything I notice I did differently that worked or felt good, etc.

Then I review it to see my progress. It has helped in just a short time with several things so I am excited about the future of my playing.
trumpetkid11

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really love having those days where your chops are just insanely great. With me, when i have one of those days, i really really have "ultimate" chops. for instance, the last one (one one i was talking about in my previous post), i played for an hour then after that i just go and pop out my first DHC. this was really awesome for me because before that day my highest note was a G( 4 lines above staff) and that was stretching it. Basically in one day, i upped my range half an octave. But then like you guys said, the day after that was total crap.

Ps- its been almost a week and nothin past a G so hopefully ill hit the DHC again one day .
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those days are wonderful. Everything is moving properly and it just comes out smoothly. I think on these days, the highlight is that compression going up is great. When you get on a hot streak you're really doing well, then just remember the feeling. If you go through a month or more of that feeling your playing will receive even more of a boost.

I think it's cool if you practice for an hour and can play double C, and it's nice to explore that register but I think playing through stuff is the best way to increase mental and physical strength. Like for me one day I remember I had I was playing along with "Footprints" and blew about a 6 minute solo and my range didn't decrease at all, if anything it increased while I was playing. I had to stop because my valve got stuck but I could've done more. I stayed playing like that for a week or two and then slightly fell off, but I would have sparks of it every now and then. But that's the feeling I like to capture...It's tough but when it happens things really can click.
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me, from my experiences, that if you are on a well-organized and sensible practice routine, and you are disciplined enough to stick to it, your playing becomes a lot more consistent than it used to be before starting on the routine, and those days of "playing in the zone" start to happen more and more often. Just my two cents...

Mike Trzesniak
musicmonkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love having good days! I feel so great when I play higher than I thought I could before, or when I last longer.

Does keeping a journal help you get the most out of your practic. I tried it for awhile, but I found that it was hard to really pick out what effects what. Like, which exercises help and which hurt...maybe i approached it wrong?

mm
Redlips

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you are keeping a journal you are really over-analyzing your playing. Just practice the basics until they are second nature (tight corners, fast air, everything else relaxed) and have fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: