• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

SA Survey: Regarding Pedal Tones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:30 am    Post subject: SA Survey: Regarding Pedal Tones Reply with quote

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Matt Graves on Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

I would answer A to all of those questions. Many people around here know that I highly advocate the pedal register. I don't know whether or not I had any exposure to pedals before I picked up SA. But I do know that Claude layed them out just right for me. I feel that they progress in a very attainable manner. And that overall he did a very good job with the presentation.

However I feel that you are conducting this survey to see if there would be a market for writing another one of your books. Maybe " Fundamental Pedal Tones For the Trumpet Player". Which I think could be a good thing as well. There is nothing more important than building a good solid foundation not only for your overall playing, but for every aspect that makes up our playing as well. And A book by someone with as many credentials as yourself and someone who has studied with Claude himself would be fully capable of further explaining and even further expounding on His thoughts and even adding in some of your own.

I may be wrong about the book idea, but it would certainly be something to think about. Let us know.
Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Matt Graves on Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Sorry for the confusion, I never studied with Claude, when I said "HE" laid them out for me rather well I was referring to his book. However, I do not think that I would be a task of improving Claude's works. Which may be done, but it would rather be more like a prepatory step to them. Like your book of Lip Flexabilities isn't designed to improve upon, or relace, colins or smith or any of those, rather a stepping stone to get ready for them, or to improve your fundamental basis. I don't know though, there haven't been too many books that tackle the steps of preparation for pedals. And I think that is why more people don't use them, they become frustrated with them, and then instead of saying that they can't do them, (which is a false in its self) they just say that they don't do any good and that is why they don't do them.

That would be quite a project though, coming up with a book that prepares players to properly learn how to play in the pedal register. It would be a lot of fun, but definitely a lot of work.
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. b - though I still find pedal F the hardest to maintain -always seem the most resistant pedal of all.
2. b - though once I had developed the correct habit of same mouthpiece set, it made the pedals easier to play.
Although I don't remember the book talking about mouthpiece set.
3. a - especially when descending arpeggios are used as the pitches are there on a plate
4. a - the exercises always say to continue down as far as possible, so the pace is geared to the individual - there is no fixed mark to aim for at the end of each lesson (i.e. pedal C by the end of week 3 etc.).

Hope my answers help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1. Did you find it
A) easy
B) slightly difficult
C) very difficult

to get the knack or feel of the pedals starting with the first pedal f to the first pedal d flat?

2. Was it
A) easy
B) slightly difficult
C) very difficult

to maintain the same mouthpiece set for the first pedal f to the first pedal d flat as your "in the staff" range?

3. Was it
A) easy
B) slightly difficult
C) very difficult

for you to hear the pitches of the notes as you ventured into the pedal range between the first pedal f to the first pedal d flat?

4. Did you think that the pedal tone exercise patterns progressed
A) just right?
B) slightly too fast?
C) way too fast?

(1) C- Before delving into the Gordon method I was trying to play pedals by sticking my lips into the mouthpiece. Was this the "pooching" Mr. Gordon referred to in PA and SA? It has been a challenge for me to unlearn this nasty habit.

(2) C- See #1.

(3) B- It's always been a challenge for me to hear the notes at the extremes of the trumpet's range. I think once I get the physical problems out of the way, how I well I can hear those notes will be my biggest challenge.

(4) Uhm, if you don't mind Matt, I really can't answer this question because I'm not exactly done with pedals. I'm just beginning... I hope that does not invalidate my responses.
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A
A
A
A

CG lessons for only a year. 1978

mm
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing Gordon off on and for a bit. My problem starts in Lesson 3. After all the notes are below pedal it's tough to get a refence point. For my own stuides I start an octave up to get the pitch in my head and then go down from there. Maybe add this in or something similar.
Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Matt Graves on Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Matt.
capriman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven`t worked with CG`S method yet Matt,but I intend to do so.
However,I do all of my pedal work on flugel.I derive far more result from doing pedals on flugelhorn than I ever have on trumpet or cornet.
I use a .460 capri flugel and a Wick 2FL mouthpiece.This combination has done more to strengthen my embouchre,incease my flexibility,lung capacityand breath support than anything else I`ve done.I`ve found that playing big into the flugel as if were a large cornet can really give you a work out.
the .460 flugelhorns have the ability to sing beautifully,like a trombone in the upper register!....Jack

[ This Message was edited by: capriman on 2002-12-22 15:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: capriman on 2002-12-24 15:14 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: