• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Proffesional and age

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ballsrburning

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Proffesional and age Reply with quote

hi

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I have always had the mind set that I was to old to be a great player even during school, when I used to meet kids my age at the time who were far superior to me and my playing ability.

After just taking the trumpet back up I am now aged 29 is this still young enough to make it as a pro player? I never got anywhere near it as a kid as I couldn't be bothered to practice but just did it becasue my father is a pro musician. At present he has no idea I am playing again and thats the way i like it, too much pressure either wise (only self imposed presuure though, he never preassurised me at all, sometimes I wish he did.). I would love to play jazz to his level of ability, but I am wondering if I have left it too late.

What do you all reckon?

importman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am certainly not qualified to answer your question I will say this. I hope you're not too old 'cause I started my comeback 10 months ago at age 46 with a five year goal to play in the local symphony orchestra. Granted they're not the NY Phil but they are professionals. I don't know if I'll make it but I'm not ready to give up just yet. Good luck to you.
jazz4yvonne
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not too old or too young to start. Nicholas Payton started in his early 20's. Your willingness will determine the outcome of your quests (btw I started at 21).
bigjohnjps

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: You just could have a shorter playing career Reply with quote

The way I see it, there is no doubt it is still possible. The only difference would be that you would be older when becoming a professional, thus you would have a shorter career.

The only thing that could hold you back is you and your practice time. When you go to get gigs it should matter if you are 20 or 4o. If you can play, you can play.

IMHO,
John
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Proffesional and age Reply with quote

ballsrburning wrote:
... I have always had the mind set that I was to old to be a great player...I am now aged 29...
Dude--ST*U! Another "old man" at age 29, eh? And you think it is too late? Your best years are behind you? Trust me--your best years don't get "behind" you until you hit your 40's and the ol' metabolism starts slowin' down...

WADR, you are never too old to learn or master something. Heck, didn't you see how good the 4 y.o. was on this board? And that was with the study habits of a toddler!!! You say you can't beat that? If you practice enough, you'll get good enough. Some things in life require certain physiological functions which are age specific--a 30-y.o. woman will never succeed against 14 y.o. gymnasts. A 45 y.o. man will not walk on as a wide receiver in the NFL. A 250 lb. driver will never win a F1 ride (nowadays). Nothing in playing the trumpet has the same restrictions. So, go forth, practice, and we hope to see you on stage or on a CD some day.

p.s. Lemme tell you about your first urologist visit....

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
chopissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I came back to the trumpet at 51

What are your expectations as a "pro" player?

I found out through a few web boards that there are many bands around where I live that are interested in adding brass sound to their bigger gigs, and prefer "mature" brass players for their knowledge of old standards and classics.

Maybe not as exciting as touring the world but certainly worth the effort and recognition!

Have fun, and remember: if you don't practice, someone else does...
'68 Conn Director (still going strong!)

Playing "bop" is like playing Scrabble with all the vowels missing.
-- Duke Ellington
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the thread http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44192

At one point he mentions a 20 year layoff.
iambrassman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is never too late to accomplish what you want to in life.

A common example is Michael Jordan struggling with Basketball through grade school.

Less common are:
Ronald Reagan entered politics in his 50's
Manfred Hoeberl (World's Strongest Man Champion) didn't start lifting weights seriously until after a car crash when he was 29
Evelyn Hannon, writer for female travelers, didn't publish until she was 41, and now has over 40,000 subscribers

I am sure there are other cool ones. Older people have the advantage of discipline, having less to prove, and clearer understanding of their objectives and goals.

Go for it.
Bob Cross
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say this.

It is realistic to believe that you could reach pro level. But it would not be a smart career move IMO to quit your job as a chemist to make your living as a pro trumpet player.

It is great fun to play with the pros, and I'm sure to be one. But I think that you will enjoy it even more if you are not relying on music for income. From my observations, very few people make what I consider a good living at music, and you are at a real disadvantage starting this late.

But if you are pro quality as an amatuer, you are going to have your pick of gigs. It will be that much more enjoyable since you have a "day job" too. The quys you would be competing against if you want to make this your sole career have been not only practicing for many more years, but have often sewn up the best paying gigs and know the right people etc. Just being a good player is not enough.

So I'm not saying you couldn't, but I wouldn't quit your job in chemistry unless you hated it or got so great and in such demand that you would be foolish not to quit.

I am thankful that I had not quite the talent to consider music as a main career. Compared to my friends who did this or tried to, I lead a much more sane and comfortable life, and I think I enjoy the music even more than most of them do - for some of them it's just a (low paying) job.

I know that my opinion is a bit contrary to what is above, but think whether you want to do this because you love music, or for some other reason. You can love music just as much as a amatuer - maybe more. And there is no limit to how good you can get if you are talented and work at it.

Bob
ballsrburning

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the posts guys.

Bob thanks for the response I appreciate the point you make and certainly don't intend to quit my job as a chemist for a potential disastorus carrear move in to music. I am way, way off being good enough at present.

As I stated above my father is a pro musician I am very familar with the hardship of being a musician full time and believe me he is very respected in his field, even so he struggled to find work. I doubt I have his talent for music but I just wished to know if there was time left to get to a pro standard, and it seems there is. I can't practice any more than I do now, my Embochure cant take it . The only thing I want to stop me from being a pro is lack of talent. This I can live with, not every one has it maybe I do maybe I don't at least I have time to find out.

Chopissimo
My idea of a pro musician is more like a semi pro/amature really, this is what I actually meant, full time job (i.e chemist) but the odd gig would be nice just a way of supplmenting my income. I dont want to be a full time musician and I know this is the defention of a pro player, I like the idea of being a great amature player earning a bit on the side by playing and potentially teaching.

Better get on with my work now.
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballsrburning wrote:
I can't practice any more than I do now, my Embochure cant take it
You will find that this problem diminishes with more practice.

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
Bob Cross
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no question that you can get that good. As for your embouchure, I think I saw a post of yours in the BE forum. That is the best way I know to make your embouchure a FORMER problem.

Bob
IEFBR14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

37 year layoff here. Played in Auburn's band and orchestra in fall 1966, and
started practicing regularly 3 years ago ,and been in 2 local community bands (2nd part mostly) the past 2 years. Right now I have a Phillip Smith etude book that isn't too hard. The trick is, ( it has a CD with him playing) to SOUND like him ... hahahaahahah therein lies the rub ..

Bach Strad from 1957 my old high school horn
Courtios 305R new and WAY too much horn for me ..sheesh
Bach Mercedes from 1973 .. wonderful fun playing
Olds Studio cornet and trumpet from the 50's and early 60's
well, you get the idea ... eBay is a sickness ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: