• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jobs, really

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetdiva1 on 2003-01-13 09:33 ]
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think jhatpro hit the nail on the head when he said to make engineering your profession and music an avocation.

I decided after 10 years as an Army Bandsman (and don't make the mistake of thinking that playing in one of the run of the mill Army bands has anything to do with music) to chuck it all and start a career as a database and office application programmer. I wish that I had more time to get behind the horn but I've been very lucky that the area that I live in offers me many opportunities to play. I'm in an Army National Guard band (once again, has nothing to do with music) play in a wedding/dance/rock band and was recently offered a spot in the trumpet section of a local big band, which I accepted. Of course, none of this is world class and it sure isn't making me rich, but I have a great time and get to spend time with other good people.

The day job feeds the wallet, the playing on the side feeds the soul. Maybe if lightning strikes and I find a gig where I can get paid well enough with decent job security, (As if!) then I'll do the music thing full time, but I'm not good enough for a world class gig and the bills have to be paid. If I were you, I'd do the engineering but if you have a true love of music and playing trumpet, DON'T PUT YOUR HORN DOWN! Find some way to keep it going.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Pops on 2003-05-13 11:43 ]
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple questions:
1) What do you really like and what are you interested in most? This is from your "gut" so to speak, not from what some other person might say.As someone else said above, the professional player may be someone who simply could not imagine doing anything else, regardless of the circumstances.Also, as was said above, has someone who really knows the situation and circumstances involved suggested that full time playing is the way to go?
2) How good a player are you? Can you tolerate the conditions you will have to deal with to get the jobs - auditions,etc.,
3) Speaking of jobs, how many openings, at any given time, are there? Over the last year? Five years? Ten years? Who got them?

I think that there may be many more job opportunities in engineering(now I'm not an engineer and don't know the market for them - just going by what seems reasonable to me). It seems to me that going for the full time professional trumpet player route might be far more uncertain and remote as to the likelihood for achievement of that goal. I also am fairly sure that the level of competition for full time playing is tremendous. Sometimes I think that the desire to become a full time pro is similar to wanting to become a full time pro athlete - possible, but not likely for most people.

When I was in high school, I wanted to be a professional trumpet player. My father was a high school band director. His advice was that if I could tolerate teaching in school, that I might go for music education and then, perform however I could. That, he felt, was the best situation for most people who wanted to be involved with music as a career and still have a good chance of making a regular and predicatable living.

I did not become a music teacher. I do not think that I would have liked it, especially these days.

However, I would recommend against doing something just because of money - if you do not like what it is that you are doing. There will never be enough money to put up with that situation.
ejaime23
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been told by my high school band director that music isn't a carreer, it's a way of life and if there's any doubt in your mind about doing it, then it's not for you, luckily for me, I had no doubt and am still in college as a music major, just some words of wisdom passed on, good luck!!
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the replies have been quite good and I hope helpful to the original poster.
I'll just add my personal thoughts to the thread.
When I'm asked the question "When did you decide to pursue a career in music?", I really can not come up with a solid answer because I never made a decision. I never calculated the odds and I never paid no mind to the naysayers. There is an old saying: "You don't choose a career in music, it chooses you." Just having to make this decision tells a great deal about you.
I apoligize if this comes off as negative advice, but I'm sure I'm not the first to mention that the music business has it's ups and downs. And most normal cats hit the downs before the ups.
I'm sure that you have naysayers in your life and I'm not one of them. Of course you should go with your heart. But if your heart tells you music, then you would never question it.

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Chemical Engineer that plays trumpet as a hobby. If it is your dream to pursue a musical career - go for it! However, it is much easier to be an engineer and have music as a hobby than vice versa. As an engineer you will probably be able to afford all of those trumpets that pros use anyway.

I am a decent player, but not to the level of a professional. I do have occasion to play with a lot of professionals. I am amazed at how good some of the players are that do this. If you have any doubts at all, go the engineering route. My $0.02 worth.

Either way, make sure you get enjoyment from the music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: