• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Endurance/High range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

I was wondering what is everyone's opinion on what benefits what: mastering higher notes yielding increased endurance as a by product or the other way around (sorry if this topic has probably been beaten to death before)?

It would seem from what I read that certain methods presented here focus on all around playing, with the effect that as you play more and more, high notes progressively become easier and are acquired automatically. Other methods put the focus on developing ease in the upper range, with the benefit that former high notes are no longer high and thus endurance several steps below the new highest note is increased.

Personally, my experience until recently was that as I improved in endurance by practising more, I got hold of higher notes. These days, working on a close embouchure and doing a good deal of lip buzzing together with trying to push the range envelope as far as possible seems to have worked wonders with endurance. Alternatively, maybe the 2 are completely disconnected?

One area where I need significant improvement is in picc playing where I cannot play higher than A and have terrible endurance (meaning I can only play the Brandenburg passage by passage). Should I try to build higher chops on picc (I can squeak higher on large Bb) or play more of it hoping to get higher notes as a by product?

Cheers,
Pierre.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what you have said, Pierre. I find that for me, as I practice more and stay consistent with my routine, that range and endurance are strengthened. I believe they go hand in hand. Someone who can play double C's without excess strain will most likely have much better endurance than someone who struggles to play the notes below a double C. The less you have to work for the notes that you play on a regular basis, the better your endurance will be. So if you have a much wider range than you need in most instances, your normal playing range should feel easy and as if you can play all day long. Just my thoughts.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air and technique used for the high register will help you play efficiently in all registers. Make sure that you practice the range that you will perform in also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: