• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

John William all the way!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At school, we started a new type of concert last years and it is call "Music theme concert" This include of course, the band playing and also, a video présentation while we play. And as long a we went true our repertory(bad translation of the french word "Répertoire"), i discovered that John William is a genius... i arleady knew him for a lot of song...but trully, i could sa y that 80% of big movie music is written by john william. THis year, we wil have again another concert like that. Well if you have the chance to play some music song...try John William. Here are some title...
Harry Potter, Jurassic Pak, Star Wars, Robin Hood, Superman, Minority Report, ET....many more.

PS: James Horner is also a good one with Braveheart and Appolo 13

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please at least get the name correct. It's John Williams.

Andrew Tomlinson
jacethakidd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol so he spelt his name wrong. big deal! hes human!

yeah my school plays a lot of john williams. im lead trumpet and i love playing his work:)
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Williams is absolutely wonderful.... but Michael Kamen wrote the music for "Robin Hood". At least the 'Prince of Theives' version of it with Kevin Costner. That's wonderful writing too!
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer Steve Houghton and the UNT 2 O'clock Band with guests, including trumpeter, Clay Jenkins, recently did an album of arrangements that Williams did as a young man of Gershwin tunes. They are fantastic and very unlike his more recent works. The original recording were by a band led by drummer Shelly Manne.

p.s. John Williams' father, Johnny Williams, was an obscure but very hip and swinging drummer in the '30s and recorded with Jimmy McPartland, Bud Freeman, Frank Teschemaker, et al.
Erin C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Williams' job when I get older... muahaha. No, really, I'm serious!

Erin -iii<
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
trumpetnerd7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard John Williams trumpet concerto? Apperantly he wrote one and Arturo performed it. Im curious as to what i sounds like? Anybody know of it?

scott cook
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott, I have not heard of it but I would think with that combination it would be awsome. If you hear more about it let us know.

Big John Williams fan,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
trumpetnerd7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! I found a recording of it, its quite a good group. LSO with Arturo playing Williams trumpet concerto. here is the link to the website. I definately want this cd.
scott cook

http://www.denouementrecords.com/
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

p.s. John Williams' father, Johnny Williams, was an obscure but very hip and swinging drummer in the '30s and recorded with Jimmy McPartland, Bud Freeman, Frank Teschemaker, et al.

I caught the closing credits to the TV show "Lost in Space" a while back, and it listed music composed by Johnny Williams- I'm guessing it was the now famous composer-

Kurt Z
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-05 20:01, trumpetnerd7 wrote:
Has anyone heard John Williams trumpet concerto?

scott cook

Is this the same piece that was originally written for Michael Sachs?

Kurt Z
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

See the article "The Trumpet Concerto of John Williams: From Commission to Concert" by Mary Thornton (International Trumpet Guild Journal, May 1997 pages 18 - 21. There are interviews with both Sachs and Williams.

Quote: "On September 26th, 1996, Michael Sachs, principal trumpet of the Cleveland Orchestra premiered the Concerto for Trumpet by John Williams with the Musical Director Christoph von Dohnanyi conducting."
Page 18.

Andrew Tomlinson
Webbsta78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, John Williams is great to listen to. I watch movies now and get distracted by the music, and miss part of the movie. It is interesting to hear the influence of R. Strauss and Mahler (as well as others) in his work. There is a spot towards the end of 'Death and Transfiguration' that I like to call the Superman Chord

Jason
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

What about Danny Elfman ( sp? ). Crazy.........
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-07 10:40, trumpetgod_02 wrote:
Hey,

What about Danny Elfman ( sp? ). Crazy.........

Elfman is cool. He certainly has his own style, and it's much quirkier than Williams'. IMO, as film composers get older, they start recycling stuff and Elfman is still at the point where his work sounds both fresh and mature.

Not to knock Williams, but I am of the opinion that he has never matched Jaws, Star Wars (Hope/Empire/Jedi), E.T. and Close Encounters. Schindler's List came close, but everything else from his pen seems to sound competant but uninspired in comparison. The guy gets a lot of work thrown his way, and he's a favorite with the Academy awards (both Oscars and Grammys), plus he can promote his own music through his position with the Boston Pops. Like I said, his music is good, but he does get a lot more exposure than his peers (Horner, Silvestri, Shore, Burwel, even older composers like Jarre and Barry),

It's great to hear that he's composing more music for the concert hall, because he's a marvelous orchestrator. His concert music sounds thoroughly modern, and a bit different from the romantic-inspired music he writes for the big screen.

IMO, another guy to watch or listen for is Howard Shore.

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2002-10-07 23:32 ]
TrumpetJerry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-05 20:01, trumpetnerd7 wrote:
Has anyone heard John Williams trumpet concerto? Apperantly he wrote one and Arturo performed it. Im curious as to what i sounds like? Anybody know of it?

scott cook

Hi Scott,
this reply is a bit late...but better late than never...
I bought the John Williams Trumpet Concerto, as a trumpet player and John Williams Fan I thought I couldn't go wrong. I'm sorry to say I was wrong.
I didn't like it at all. Arturo sucks as a classical trumpet player in this part.
You can buy it from me anytime...

Trumpets:
- '82 Schilke CXL
- '54 Olds Studio
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny reading someone say that Mahler and Strauss "influenced" John Williams. I'd go farther and say that Williams took a lot of rhythms, harmonies, and melodic lines from very famous works and made them "his" own. I like Williams' music, but it seems obvious to me that he made a lot of his most famous pieces based on themes of other music! Call it what you will, but I don't quite agree with it.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember listening to an interview with John Williams when he was doing the live Star Wars concert thing (with the movie clips playing on a huge screen) a few years back. He said (something like) he writes every day, and has a stack of manuscript paper for working themes and ideas to develop. This way, if he's ever hard-pressed for an idea, he has a small library of phrases to springboard off of. I think there are many phrases in that stack which he knows are good and that work well. These are also the ones that sound like Mahler, or Holst. They make for exciting, movie action-

Kurt Z
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most film composers are/were heavily influenced by Mahler, Wagner, Respighi, Holst, etc. I feel it is a bit overboard to accuse John Williams of plagarizing many of his film music themes from those other composers. If anything, much of Williams's music shows the influence of Erich Korngold, who in turn was definitely influenced by Gustav Mahler.

Like any in-demand composer who has to work against deadlines, Williams has recycled a lot of his own material. I don't think there is anything terribly wrong with that; Handel and Vivaldi did it all the time too, as did othe prodigious composers from all eras. But after a while, their work sounds repetitive and stale. For example, Williams's music for the first Harry Potter film sounded a lot like Jurassic Park and A.I. It's tough to keep hammering out material which is completely original each time.

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2003-01-03 01:02 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: