• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

HELP FOR DRY MOUTH/SORE LIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DR_DIRT_MAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: HELP FOR DRY MOUTH/SORE LIP Reply with quote

I'm a mouth breather. As a 48 year old comeback player I'm having issues with waking up in the morning with the inside of my lips dry and leathery. Some mornings are not that bad, some are very bad. I have what I think is scar tissue on my upper lip that corresponds to the area where the rim of the mouthpiece presses on my lip, on both sides of the rim. That area is sore and stiff on the very bad mornings and sometimes remains that way throughout the day. On those days I just have to lay off the horn entirely or play just a few notes. Any suggestions? This has been a literal pain and makes it very frustrating to try to have a consistant practice schedule and make progress in my playing.
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I'm not very qualified, I'll take a stab at your question....

I don't think that your dry/lips mouth problem and sore lip maybe the same problem--although they could be. I'm not a medico so I can't tell you why you have a dry mouth. If your lip is sore AND you think that it's from playing, you might want to lay off the horn for 5 days or so and see if the soreness goes away. I do know from personal experience that over-playing can make your lip sore. Sorry, if this doesn't help in your answer search.

Stan
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Burt's Bees Lip Balm. It seems to help keep the lips in good shape and I can also use it while playing. As for the dry mouth, I have no suggestions except maybe sipping some liquid. Also, some ice on the lips may help reduce any swelling if there is any, as well as maybe helping the dry mouth.
chopissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annoying problem, or problems as noted above.
I am no doctor either but there might be an allergy or infection issue regarding the upper lip problem. Make sure you thoroughly clean your mouthpiece after every use.

For the dry lip problem, do you use any lip balm before going to sleep?
I use natural lip balm like Burt's Bees products to keep my lips healthy especially during winter time.

Last September my lower lip split while over-doing upper-register exercises, I had to wait about 3 weeks before going back to the horn...
Take it easy
'68 Conn Director (still going strong!)

Playing "bop" is like playing Scrabble with all the vowels missing.
-- Duke Ellington
Mr. Semman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best advice to you is to see a doctor before your condition worsens. The dry mouth in the morning may be a condition in which you are breathing through your mouth while you sleep. The soreness in your lip may be a combination of both the dryness and the need to heal.

To have a body hydrated, you should drink at least six glasses of water per day. Also drink at least three glasses of milk per day, as the milk helps repair injured muscles. I would also recommend that you use a lip balm of some sort to keep the moisture in your lips.

Hope this helps.

Gary Lapine
Bach 5C
Bach 3C
BAA Bugler
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, while I am far from an expert, and I don't teach trumpet, you shouldn't be using so much pressure that you end up with scar tissue.
JackS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Burts Bees as well. If you use it before you go to bed, it could help.
jazzr69
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, try using a humidifier at night while you sleep. this helps my lips, lungs and sinuses to feel much better in the morning especially in the cold, dry winter months.

i found a cheap honeywell at target for $25; one of the warm mist models. i picked one up a couple weeks ago and it was definitely money well spent.
85schilkeb3
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that when I dont drink enough water I end up with dry mouth.

You may try a humidifier as suggested above. I know from experiance that when I run DEhumidifier in my room I have all kinds of problems in the morning.

I also put DCT on my lips every night without exception. It always leaves my lips feeling refreshed in and soft in the morning.

Best of luck.

Vince
Monette B2
chopissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do some internet research on the subject of dry lips you will find various references to possible infections or diet-related issues.

See a doctor!
'68 Conn Director (still going strong!)

Playing "bop" is like playing Scrabble with all the vowels missing.
-- Duke Ellington
mmccourt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to try ChopSaver for any of your lip issues. Chapped lips, sore lips, split lips etc. I have been using it for over a year now and I will never look back. www.chopsaver.com

Mike M
Concertjazz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a comeback player after laying off about 20 years. I was having problems with pain and noticeable swelling after a 2 hr rehearsal. Also I tend to get carried away and practice for 2 hrs nonstop with nowhere near the rest breaks I should be taking. My fix:

- Blistex Lip Medex (In the little blue jar.) Use immediately after a long practice, gig, or rehearsal, or at least before you go to bed. This stuff really works; I am as good as new the next day.

- I found that mouthpieces with a sharp inner edge (alpha curve) leave a semi-circle dent on my upper lip. So I now use an MP with a smooth inner edge.

- I also found that my MP rims were too narrow (I have thin lips) and that moving to a Schilke #4 rim solved my pain problem caused by the narrower rims on my Bach MP's.

I also found that I was noticing a dry mouth on occasion. For me, that was simply a result of too much sodium in my diet and not enough water intake. I now take a bottle of water to all rehearsals and gigs.

Bob Reeves 42S 962
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: