• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Casper, WY Comback Players?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Casper, WY Comback Players? Reply with quote

Any out there besides me?
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Richard:

Sorry you haven't had any responses. I guess I need to quit complaining about the Atlanta traffic and be happy that living in a large metropolitan area gives me plenty of playing and connecting-with-other-trumpet-players opportunities.

Good luck to you!
tpt4hire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really a comeback player, and I don't currently live in Casper, but I grew up there. I will be playing the Vivaldi Gloria up there on May 14(?) at the Shepard of the Mountain church. My dad is the choir director there and he always needs musicians. He puts together brass choirs and such as well. PM me if you want his number.

There are several comeback players that play in the Casper Municipal band during the summers.

Always nice to hear from people back home.

HLD
Chris
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris and Jeff, thanks for saying "howdy." i've already tracked down your dad chris. he's told me about your playing. you are a monster! wtg!!

i sort am preparing for the worst . . . prob won't be asked to join the civic band even after an audition: 5 parts, 10 players max, my guess is all of whom have played the literature for years really love playing in the band.

after 3 months of practice, my skills are nearing what they were 25 years ago which weren't that impressive to begin with. best thing i had going for me is i had a great sound and loved playing. was fortunate to play in a couple concert bands 1 pretty good one in pomona, ca and play a couple "messiah's", and community symphonies. i just loved playing. guess i still do since i'm keeping at it.

i started playing late in life; played sports in school and took up trumpet when i was about 20. so i had to work quite a bit to get all the other stuff moving in the right direction: technical and characteristic facility, sight reading, and well . . . musical savvy, if that's a legit quality. i've always been note pounder never really a "musician" who could on demand make music. i certainly could play musically . . . woodshed parts and play well but i never really had that ability to "let's do it now" if the music were hard, tricky, intricate, or wierd. got to play with people who could and am very happy that i did.

my guess is what will wind up happening follows: i'll buy some scores, brass ensemble stuff, nose about on trumpet choir works too . . . put an ad in the paper and find folks in town who like playing. work up some music. perform it for free. someplace. also, would be nice to bring in some old standard tunes to senior centers, rest homes, etc. been dropping hints at my parish that i've begun playing too.

oh . . . and if any comeback players are interested, i practiced Arban's "1st" studies, then added sigmund hering's etudes, schlossberg, and clarke studies.

1 thing i've did which i never had done (and has been immensely pleasurable and profitable for endurance, tone, musicality, etc) was to find some soprano music of tunes that i find moving and just jaw droppingly beautiful. charlotte church's "voice of an angel" has some beautiful songs in them. worked some of them up and was good to transpose again.

best to all,

richard oliver
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
thing i've did which i never had done (and has been immensely pleasurable and profitable for endurance, tone, musicality, etc) was to find some soprano music of tunes that i find moving and just jaw droppingly beautiful. charlotte church's "voice of an angel" has some beautiful songs in them. worked some of them up and was good to transpose again

I did something similar: bought some old "Best of the 60s/70s" song books off ebay and would work on the melodic tunes (some early rock 'n' roll doesn't lend itself well to the trumpet!) But I'd play those and work on making them musical and try to center the tone. Those turned out to be fun workouts... haven't done them in awhile but will probably do so again this summer after the church Easter program and Memorial Day are past.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: