• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Very few list website addresses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Very few list website addresses Reply with quote

It always surprises me how few people list them in there signature areas.
Some that are supposedly seasoned pros that play tons of shows and never, ever any prompts to see the bands they play with.

They guys dish out tons of knowledge, advise blah blah blah... but never mention the specific groups they work with...ever.

If you are a free-lancer, certainly there are groups you "sit in" with that you might like to list a website for. Yeah, I suspect there are alot of phoney baloneys here on TH.

Anybody ever notice this? Don't you think that listing "something" might help folks have a little more confidence that what you are saying is correct? I don't buy in to the anonymity thing. These folks are staying anonymous for reasons...most of them not good.
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did it ever occur to you that not everyone needs to have a website???

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb
Schilke c from experimental period with CSO
Blessing Artist Series Flugel

I'll ognore you anyday baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you have a website doesn't mean you know what you are talking about.
Just because someone remains anonymous does not mean that they don't.

If the advice is good, does it matter who it comes from?
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they said. ^^

Not everyone has a website.

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this make you feel better?

Pete has performed with The USAF Band, Jeff Holmes Big Band, The Amherst Jazz Orchestra, Yusef Lateef, Peter Erskine, John Fedchock, Chris Vadala, The Temptations, the O’Jays, Doc Severinson, Kenny Rogers, Englebert Humperdink, Al Martino, The Four Tops, Lew Soloff, Claudio Roditi, Ed Shaunessey, Bobby Darrin, Bob Mintzer and the Yellowjackets, David "Fathead" Newman, Peter Madsen, and has done tours of Japan, Europe, and Russia.Theatre work has included shows at Hartford Stage, Stage West .(Springfield, MA), Berkshire Theatre Festival, Barrington Stage, Colonial Theatre (Pittsfield, MA). Just to mention a few.

The only reason I am posting this is because you seem to think that some of us don't or can't do this stuff. If I were to regularly post this stuff, many would think that I'm full of myself. I also doubt that many are going to travel to Massachusetts if they live more than 100 miles away. I email my current itinerary to my friends, who wish to hear me perform that live in the area. I don't need a website as a freelance musician.

Pete

Pete
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. First (BTW) I also plain enjoy looking at websites when provided. Don't you?

Well...when someone gives advice, "I" appreciate (and feel it' appropriate for them to provide) a "little" background info. It sort of (when combined with quality verbal information)validates it to some extent. Dont agree, huh? Dosen't make sense? I respect your point of view. So you don't care who or "what" the heck your getting advice from on the internet, huh? Just let the words say it all? Ok, I respect your opinion.

I should just assume that he/she is probably a really cool, dignified anonymous member/former member of a well known, oh, lets say; philharmonic orchestra for example? Or played with the long list of great folks like Pete has? Who for security, political, geographical relavance etc, etc ... reasons would rather not; or see any point in listing anything?

Again, I just find it sursprising in todays computer world (even only if as a "courtesy" to those you associate with) to not have some sort of website to list. Any of the various musical related organizations (at any level) you play(or have played with), admire or in any other way appreciate. Your school, church for example. If your a pro, semi, ametuer (whatever you consider yourself), maybe one of the groups you frequently play with. You don't huh? Dos'nt make any sense? Ok.
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with trumpetmike -- that it really doesn't matter to me if someone lists their credentials or not. We have to decide for ourselves whether suggestions of others makes sense for us to try or not.

Just because someone studied music at XYZ College or plays in a band, doesn't necessarily mean they are any better a player (or teacher) than someone that didn't study music in college or doesn't play in a band. Having a website is completely meaningless to me.

Actually, if we get in the habit of looking for credentials, experience levels, etc., in order to make a decision on whether to read a post or completely ignore it, we may be missing out on some good, positive, beneficial information.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for newbies some information on the qualifications would help. But after you have been here for a while it becomes clear who has good advice and who doesn't.

The forum is really self correcting, since if someone gives bogus advice someone else, often many someone elses, will point it out.

That said, I think many people on here are asking questions hoping to validate their own viewpoint, and it won't matter what answers they get. Think of the horns forum when someone asks a question about their favorite brand and then gets into a flame war.
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look....

When you are a spy for the good guys, a freelance hit-man for Uncle Luigi, a world class millionaire sex symbol, and an international man of mystery, you just can't advertise it on the internet.

I guess you'll just have to take your chances with the pearls of knowledge that fall out of my mouth...

Dave
londonhusker

(The ship will sail at midnight; Youz talkin' to me, dirtbag?; Shaken, not stirred; Oh yeah, baby!!!!)
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Very few list website addresses Reply with quote

jgadvert wrote:
It always surprises me how few people list them in there signature areas.
Some that are supposedly seasoned pros that play tons of shows and never, ever any prompts to see the bands they play with.

They guys dish out tons of knowledge, advise blah blah blah... but never mention the specific groups they work with...ever.

If you are a free-lancer, certainly there are groups you "sit in" with that you might like to list a website for. Yeah, I suspect there are alot of phoney baloneys here on TH.

Anybody ever notice this? Don't you think that listing "something" might help folks have a little more confidence that what you are saying is correct? I don't buy in to the anonymity thing. These folks are staying anonymous for reasons...most of them not good.

Hi John,

I don't see this lack of web site references as a problem at all, as far as earning respect. I see it more as a way of wanting respect, when one lists a brag sheet of who they’ve played with.

I see websites more as it being used by someone who is trying to sell something. In the case of your website, you are hustling gigs. (NICE LOOKING WEBSITE, BY THE WAY!)

There are plenty of reasons why other folks (not selling something) have nothing to gain by posting a web address:

Most of the top players either don’t need one . . . or their record company, symphony, university (where they teach as tenured professors), or fans have ‘em. These people work full time as musicians. They don’t seek extra work via website hype . . . their reputations are well-known.

The listing of a website is more advantageous to those NOT on the top of the trumpet player “heap.” I’m talking about either:

1. The starving, yet prodigiously talented young “pro-wannabe” trying to land a great, full-time gig . . . one who has neither “made it” yet, or given up to take a job outside the industry, AND . . .

2. The weekend warrior band musicians hyping to get gigs on the weekend . . . when they aren’t working full-time in their (usually) non-musician fields.

Obviously, there are plenty of individual exceptions to these generalities.

Plus, the different types of fine trumpet players don’t generally respect others outside of their specialty. Legit guys look down on Jazzers; Jazzers look down on the legit guys . . . and both look down on the part-time, “Weekend Warriors.”

Thus, listing a website might actually be a liability if the other person doesn't respect the genre that the website trumpeter plays.

IF . . .
I want to know about someone’s abilities as a trumpeter, I simply want to HEAR them play . . . so I’ll want to hear ‘em provide a link to a recording. Most of the pompous ass types can’t, or won’t provide one!

Failing this, I like people to list their real name when posting on a trumpet site. The trumpet community is a very small one, world-wide, so it is quite easy to get in touch with someone in that area to vouch for a guy’s claims.

Please don’t feel I’m downing your band. I’m a “Weekend Warrior” myself at this stage in my life, after working full time as a trumpeter for quite a few years. Many of us "Warriors" choose to trade the life of the road for a wonderful family . . . and make music our passion rather than our profession!

By the way, here’s a link to one of the groups I play with. It is a fine band indeed, as you'll see.

http://georgiabigband.4t.com/index.html

Here’s a couple of links I’ve put on the web so that folks could check out the sound of a vintage-type, shepherd’s crook cornet AND a brutal, 1911 “cookie cutter” cornet mouthpiece.

I wanted to show both the difference in the vintage cornet sound vs. modern cornets AND show that the old masters could play all night long on the brutal “cookie cutters” . . . because they didn’t (and COULDN’T) use pressure . . . and thus learned to play correctly!

On both selections I go up to at least an F over Double C . . . on a deeeeep-V, “cookie cutter”. . . on selections requiring range, flexibility and endurance. ALL the trills are lip trills too . . . NO VALVES.

I think these recordings validate that I know what I’m doing.

http://rapidshare.de/files/9137224/He_Is_Jehovah.wma.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/9137382/In_The_Presence.wma.html

Then again . . . someone else might not like the genre.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
Leedorham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever the "Show your credentials" argument comes up in a post, I tend to be pretty indifferent on the issue. I really don't care if someone shows me their website or degree or all the famous performers they have played with. If someone's posts seem intelligent, they are probably an intelligent person. If they seem unintelligent, no website or list of credentials is going to sway my opinion. If it makes you feel good about yourself or if you're proud of what you do then more power to you. I actually like to see the non-music credentials and the non-music websites just to see the range of people that love to play the trumpet. The only reason I put a hyperlink in my signature is so people can get an idea what sort of playing I mostly do (it's a hobby band really). I have no illusions of any other result. You'll notice the rest of my signature is anything but serious. If you are trying to get ahead in the world using discussion groups, you should probably re-think your strategy.

-Joe
Valve Oil: chicken fat & kerosene
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The only reason I put a hyperlink in my signature is so people can get an idea what sort of playing I mostly do" Very nice, courteous, simple way to put it.

Nice to see some of the things you folks do. Maybe other readers find it interesting, useful as well. It seems common sense to communicate a "little" idea of what you do when you offer advice or converse on a subject. You just think it would come up somewhere along the way in posts. No one else noticed this? OK. I understand how some players need to remain anonymous, but maybe then, they shouldnt be the ones getting on an internet post site and offering advice then. Hope those reading can respect my opinion.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I put any links in my signature is that I got fed up with people insinuating that I was overstating my credentials.

When I first started posting on TH, I was totally anonymous. People who were inclined to agree with me assumed that I was a big-time player; people who were inclined to disagree with me assumed that I was a student with a big mouth and too much time on his hands. After I was "outed," not much changed. People who are inclined to agree with me see "National Ballet Orchestra" and think I must be some kind of hotshot; people who are inclined to disagree with me think that ballet music is just tinkly Sugar Plum Fairy bullcrap and I'm just some hack who managed to land a part-time job playing wussy-pants music. The truth, as usual, is somewhere in between.

As I've said many times, I don't particularly want people to consider my resume when they evaluate what I have to say. I'd much rather convince somebody by explaining my thought process than by pointing at my resume. Certainly, there are times when I feel that my experience as a professional (such as it is) may give me insights that are unavailable -- or even counterintuitive -- to somebody who's not playing for a living. But usually those are the things that it's impossible to convince people of anyway.
JakeUND
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgadvert wrote:
Again, I just find it sursprising in todays computer world (even only if as a "courtesy" to those you associate with) to not have some sort of website to list.

Sorry. Not everyone has time to post their resume for you. Maybe people don't have the time to keep up a website? Believe what you want, Don't believe what you don't want to believe. It's the internet. If you want to display a listing of your previous positions/performances in bands/organizations, then that's great. Don't expect us all to want to share our life story with the world. I don't mean to sound offensive, so if it comes off that way, I'm sorry.
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone offers you advice, take it for what it is. You needn't know how valid their opinion is to understand if the information they offer you is valid.
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi John,

I don't see this lack of web site references as a problem at all, as far as earning respect. I see it more as a way of wanting respect, when one lists a brag sheet of who they’ve played with.

I see websites more as it being used by someone who is trying to sell something.

Exactly. If anything, it's advertising (in which case, put it in the marketplace). As to other things like when people put their equipment (I mean, who CARES what someones "marching vs legit" setups are?), or band or orchestra chair assignment, it IMO, comes off as seraching for a pat on the back.

Since when does someone's internet resume mean anything? Any 12 y.o. with marginal computer skills can make up an impressive online resume and post links to real recordings and pass it off as something it isn't. If it really bothers you as to what the "questionable" person's creds are, just PM them and ask.

R

R

9/11/01 Never forget those who died. Never forget those who killed them.
Yoder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had a link to my site for many months but when it was clicked on it fired up Outlook. Now I see the some have working links so I will try again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: