• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

lips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, im 14 and I play the trumpet in my school band. I have a question. Well actually its about where I place the trumpet on my mouth. I tend to place it alot on the left side of my mouth. I heard this is a bad thing. I was wondering how you guys set up to put it on your mouth. Somone told me to make an "MM" sound and then place it in the middle.
Is the trumpet a big low covering a bit of the upperlip and more of the bottom lip, or more of the upper lip and less of the bottom lip. or just right in the middle?
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-01-09 21:22, Tass wrote:
I tend to place it alot on the left side of my mouth. I heard this is a bad thing.

I will go out on a limb here and state that nobody on earth now or ever in history has played dead center. We're imperfect humans, and getting a mouthpiece dead center (horizontally and vertically, a "perfectly centered" placement) is so unlikely that I find the concept laughable.

Mother Nature has a way of dictating the best placement for us simply by how it feels. In spite of the fact that playing the trumpet is certainly not a natural thing in the first place, the best place to set the mouthpiece is where it feels "natural" and comfortable. Forcing oneself to change mouthpiece placement generally causes only frustration and failure.

There are as many ideas about placement as there are players, and that's the beauty of Reinhardt's teaching . . . he meets you where you are and works with what Mother Nature has given you. Making the "IM" formation and placing the mouthpiece where it feels "right" is going to help you far more than placing your mouthpiece where somebody else says.

Keep us posted!

Rich
Tass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feed back. I will keep the things u say in mind
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: