• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lips Just Touching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been revisiting the method of breathing through my mouth corners while leaving my lips just touching in the center. I'm finding it very difficult to do this without pulling my mouth corners back into a smile while a breath. I do keep my tongue down and back when I breath, so that's not the problem.

Has anyone else had this trouble? Is this something that should become more comfortable with time?

Thanks,
Dave
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have been going through the same thing. You may want to try to breathe through your nose to make sure the lips stay in place from time to time. It will take time to train your lips to get in the habit of touching. Be patient. It has taken be around 3 weeks or so until I felt like it was happening consistently without thinking about it. You may also want to do a lip set point set for a g on top of the staff before you play. It will help get the lips in the proper position. It will make playing easier. Check out 'Pops' boks. That is where I have learned these concepts. Good Luck.

[ This Message was edited by: Jon Arnold on 2003-01-15 08:14 ]
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, it's okay (even desired) for the mouthcorners to go back as long as you're keeping your mouthcenter just touching and don't let up on mouthpiece pressure during the mouthcorner inhalation. I'm not sure that Jon read your post correctly . . . and then there's the chance that neither did I!

I play a little off to my right, so it's also right for me to take in a little more air through my left side than right side. Whichever side of your outer embouchure has more of your mouthpiece, the other side can be expected to take in slightly more air. This helps prevent embouchure distortion under the rim of the mouthpiece.

Rich

Hear my recordings free: www.mp3.com/RichWilley

[ This Message was edited by: BeboppinFool on 2003-01-15 12:25 ]
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are working on the inhalation with the lips just touching inside the cup of the mouthpiece, inhale the word "IM". You will notice it will pull your tongue back and help eliminate the mouth corners stretching too far back. It will also get the tongue out of the way so it's not an impediment for the inhalation.

Jon:
We offer "The Encyclopedia of The Pivot System" at http://www.pivotalk.com. It's THE ONLY book on the Pivot System. Click on Pivot Products and go to the order form. Part of the proceeds go to the Reinhardt Foundation.

Thanks!!!!

"Wherever you go....there you are."
Buckaroo Bonzai

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2003-01-15 14:46 ]
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dave, it's okay (even desired) for the mouthcorners to go back as long as you're keeping your mouthcenter just touching and don't let up on mouthpiece pressure during the mouthcorner inhalation.

Right now it feels very unfamiliar, and I'm having trouble keeping my mouthpiece placement consistent since I'm going to see if I can switch to a wet embouchure (I'm a very low type IVA, or maybe a type IV - my horn angle has been creeping up as I start to learn what my jaw should be doing).

Quote:
I play a little off to my right, so it's also right for me to take in a little more air through my left side than right side. Whichever side of your outer embouchure has more of your mouthpiece, the other side can be expected to take in slightly more air. This helps prevent embouchure distortion under the rim of the mouthpiece.

This advice has helped, and I remember reading that in the Encyclopdia but forgot to apply it. I place on my left (and it seems to be creeping a little further to the left) and have to take in more air on my right side.

Getting as much air in as quickly is more difficult keeping the lips touching while breathing. It also has been drying out my mouth corners much quicker, forcing me to play even wetter and have trouble keeping my mouthpiece placement consistent.

But, it has been getting easier. I've only been at it for two days at the time of this writing. I'm also starting all my students to try this at the same time. It will be interesting to see the results of switching 13 brass players all at the same time with a new technique.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: