• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TRUMPET BLUES-Harry James

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At lunch today...I am listening to "TRUMPET BLUES (The Best of Harry James?) is the title.
Here is 16 of Harry's "greatest songs" made between 55-58.

After listening to this CD, I can't put my finger on it. But I feel a bit saddened by not only this CD for its "dated and a bit cheezeee'feel" and when I got to "Willow Weep for Me"---I feel an undercurrent of sadness in his trumpet voicing and at the same time, a feeling the band is trying to take apart any feeling that Harry might want be be trying to express by adding unappropiated graffeeeedeee'spashes of style and profile...showbizz bursts of noise.Then add on top of this a hum-hum-drum guitar and drum beat that almost illustrates a visual of a drunken, sleepy tired couple staggering on the dance floor and the band and bar is getting anxious to close..Its a quarter to three, nobudy' in place...but you and me and all that jazz. In other words the Texas blues...James style.

A while back I checked out the book of the same name "TRUMPET BLUES." Perhaps it is just the vibes and ghost left over in my soul....after reading this portrait of our most treasured trumpet masters during the early and early 60's.
Jerome Callet has mentioned often, just how he thought that Harry had the best set of chops and was technically one of the most effective and efficent players to ever be born.
Last thing of note...."I hear a little of "Little Jazz, Roy Eldridge in this "Willow Weep for me!" Also hear many ghosts and hauntings of old band leaders like Buddy Rich and Benny Goodman in this CD.

Many many gifted ICON trumpet players of his day and critics alike, gave been quoted as one time or another....throwin'roses and praises Harry's astounding technique and virtuosity the highest of marks
I must agree. Yes, Harry was truly a TITAN and master of brass but sadly like sooo many other trumpeter of those days had addiction, money, and women trouble...demons seem to flock around them in clusters. A real tribute to the human spirit...that these tormented souls still gave us so much beautiful music and all that jazz.
http://www.januarymagazine.com/artcult/trumpetblues.html

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2003-01-10 14:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2003-01-10 14:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2003-01-10 14:21 ]
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Bad-Boy. Harry James had allot to be sad about, and it was all of his own creation. Miles could be a bastard. Stan Getz, Chet, Buddy Rich...real ****s all. (Or so I've heard or read) But we should judge them as people living lifes of experience and preparation and meet their true selfs in their art. Some people come into this world having developed great skills already, and their lifes are like a comet. They are going too fast to be nice.

Oh, I like those stars!

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2003-01-10 14:41 ]
149xl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about Harry's private live, except his marriage to Betty Grable (not a bad woman-problem to struggle with). But I have the CD you mention plus a couple of others and I enjoy them frequently. Too bad the recording quality of his earliest work is so primative. He's truly a great one and I fear too many of the later generations won't know much about his music or skill.

L
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L,
You should read Harry's biography for some real insight into the life of James and his relationship with Betty, not to mention his relationship with hundreds (could it be thousands?) of other women. Long before there was sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll, there was Harry James, sex, drugs, and the swing bands.
Larry Smithee

[ This Message was edited by: Larry Smithee on 2003-01-20 09:09 ]
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all that went on in his life the man could still play. I still have some old 78s someplace. I think I will dig them out and try to find a player.

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: