• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"THE ZONE"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you all know what I'm talking about. Those times when everything seems to just click in your playing and you can't frack notes if you tried. I had an experience like this last night and I have a question for you guys. What have you found to be some of the best ways to produce this "Zone" more frequently. I noticed that when I was playing, I was listening critically to myself, but it wasn't a conscious effort. I was doing many things without thinking. Almost automatic. I feel that a lot of it had to do with my state of mind and very deliberate, yet relaxed approach. To specify my question, is it the right idea that I should attempt to find that mindset more often because it unlocks the "Zone?" I haven't payed much attention to past experiences, but I'm going to start analyzing them more. I just thought if any of you have analyzed them already that you could share that. Thanks!

Matt Cyr

P.S. I posted this in the lounge but didn't get any responses as of yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kenny dorham is an animal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea man i dont know if anyone has read Kenny Werner's "Effortless Mastery". But it works under the theory that when you play your instrument, you take your mind out of what you are playin and thinking about how you are playing, and you put your mind in the audience. So basically you are watching yourself play the music you are playin. Pretty deep huh? Well i definetly reccommend reading his book it really helps you get in the zone and stay in the zone. Its avalible through Aebersold press. http://www.jazzbooks.com. But yea when you get in the zone its great.
Later

DRES
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-19 16:53, kenny dorham is an animal wrote:
yea man i dont know if anyone has read Kenny Werner's "Effortless Mastery". But it works under the theory that when you play your instrument, you take your mind out of what you are playin and thinking about how you are playing, and you put your mind in the audience. So basically you are watching yourself play the music you are playin. Pretty deep huh? Well i definetly reccommend reading his book it really helps you get in the zone and stay in the zone. Its avalible through Aebersold press. http://www.jazzbooks.com. But yea when you get in the zone its great.
Later

Yeah i know what you mean. In 7th grade when i played my first solo in front of the school I was defetnitly in that zone. I didnt crack a single note or anything everything just came together for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was in the zone from the moment I picked up the horn (around 9 a.m.) until I put it down several hours later.

Yesterday I couldn't play anything right and sounded so grotesquely amateurish I was ready to chuck it all in favor of my 3rd grade daughter's plastic recorder.

Tomorrow is a crap shoot. I have never been able to figure out how to get into "the zone' and stay there for any great length of time. Playing trumpet is an endless learning experience, but I wouldn't stop trying for all the tea in China.

Barry
johnny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the zone is definately mostly a state of mind. but, if the chops aren't there, that state of mind can go down the crapper in a heartbeat. if you're always prepared to play, that mindset is much easier to slide into. and for chop consistency, i highly recommend jeff smiley's book, The Balanced Embouchure. I believe that his website is down right now, but you can email him at trumpetteacher1@aol.com. your chops will always be ready if you follow his direction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: