• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

SA Lesson #2 - Question #2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question on lesson #2, part I: How long are you to rest between each of the descending arpegios? Lesson #1 says "Rest as long as you play" in part I. Lesson #2 simply says "rest as marked," which is simply a single measure of rest. I assumed "Rest as long as you play" is a univeral guideline that should be followed throughout the book, but want to make sure I'm correct.
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - you are supposed to rest as long as you play during the exercises throughout the whole book. There are a few inconsistencies that still remain in the lesson instructions. For example, Lesson 21 Part I (in the edition that I have) is the first lesson where Claude did not write to rest 15 minutes before going on to Part II, yet in the other lessons he did.

Resting as long as you play is a good idea with any method, not just Claude's. Using that rule, you can get so much more out of practice sessions, rather than being "shot" after the first half hour because you never took the horn off of your face. We practice to build up, not to tear down.

Mike Trzesniak

[ This Message was edited by: Blue Devil on 2003-01-16 09:39 ]
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the rest is one measure long. So is the exercise. So however long teh measure of playing lasted, you should make the measure of rest about the same amount of time. And even more as you get to the higher notes. It's not about making yourself tired.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: