• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Offset Embouchure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msteff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed after playing that the mouthpiece marks left on my lips are not aligned vertically. The mark on the lower lip will be slightly to the left of the mark on the upper lip. I have been playing off and on for 20+ years and this has always been so. Is this something I should try to correct?
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! It worked well for Louis Armstrong???
But then again there is folks like Dave Douglas, Claude Gordon...that demo just how well they can vary their own mp. placement with little effort.
Claude, according to Jack Kanstul...used to vary his placement...just to keep from "gettin tired" or to temp. rest the chops...even while they play.
Hummm???
Although most mortals tend to find the placement where it feels more comfortable,as most folks teeth are not in alignment...Also many of us (me included) learned this off center position because of trying to follow written music (hid around behind the trumpet's bell? :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2003-01-21 13:11 ]
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I wouldn't worry. I play with an "offset emb" as well. Doesn't seem to be hindering me at all. So...... I'm cool with it.
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be generally accepted that there are no adverse consequences in playing "off-set". As mentioned above, there are many who are considered formidable players that play off-set. Wouldn't worry about it.
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be so anylitical (sp.) about it...If you've been playing 20 years and you're still comfortable then you're obviously doing a lot of things correctly. If you feel discomfort then that's when you want to think about making changes. It doesn't make much of a difference if you're still comfortable and playing well, because we all change over time.
Doc Maynard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about results. If you get good results with an off-set embouchure, then stay with it.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most players are not perfectly centered. I agree that it is the result that counts. If you want to check a good picture of a strong offset embouchure,look at the back cover of Maynard's MF Horn 3 album, if you can find it.

Pete
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a good look at John Faddis sometimes. He's way off center but his playing is right on the money!

As for myself, at the age of 18 I decided to try and play in the middle and it was the absolute worst thing I could have done for my playing. I struggled with this for about six years. (In high school I could play a double F - in college I was lucky to squeek out a high C).

My range and endurance seemed to get worse every year until I finally took some time off and when I went back I really concentrated on finding my old embrosure. Here it is "several years" later and I am playing better than ever. I've even been asked to play lead in a big band!

So my advise is stick with what works and don't worry about the way it looks in the mirror!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: