• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fast or slow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best way to learn a really fast and dificult piece? Some say take it really slow and slowly work your way to the correct tempo. Then I've heard just play it fast until you get it. The first way seems more logical. Thanks for any advice.
~Kaleb
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first way you describe is definitely more logical and correct.If you are working under the supervision of a good private teacher, I would imagine that is how you would be instructed to do it.

You are building habit, coordination, and muscle memory. If you play things fast and poorly, then that is EXACTLY how you will learn and develop habit. What I used to be told was that I would get "a little better bad" all the time by practicing the wrong way....

Bad habits are "easy to make and hard to break."

Practice slowly until you have mastered the issue,whether it is fingering, articulation, or whatever.

Gradually increase speed as you become more proficient.

All you will do the other way is make incorrect habits that may be difficult to change.

Go with the "slow,fast way...."
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with DaveH. Start slow, When you can play it correct at that tempo then increase speed in steps until you get up to tempo. You need to get the notes first before you get the "speed".

HTH,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go slow, learn to play it correctly and at the risk of sounding redundant, use a:

metronome, metronome, metronome, metronome, metronome, metronome, metronome, metronome, metronome, metronome, metronome, metronome, metronome!

Remember, practise does not make perfect; practising PERFECTION makes perfect.
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Go with the slow way. I know it takes moretime and all of that. But it is worth it in the long run. And I agree, Metronome, Metronome, etc. Don't practice until you can play it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.

Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: