• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eureaka! "A Virgin unplayed-wrapped Longplay 33 Wynton Marsa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyDon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A loooooooooong time ago during a weekend of moving, I stopped by a record shop.
Noticed an Album with Wynton's CBS Masterworks Digital Classical Debut recording (with attached gold seals and all. What a beautiful cover...which show him holding a couple of really fine instruments..

The D?? model appears to be a BACH,(I think I recognize the bottom of the inscription on the bell?) while the picc. has to be a Schilke?

From previous posts...you know I have been hooked on playing along with bunches of my old long play movie score recordings...and I found a long lost Album. In my moving process, my wife helped me pack the records...
and little did I know that she put this UNPLAYED Wynton Grammy record in another box, under a divider that looked just like

I Couldn't find my new Wynton record and had to go out a few days later and bought a second one as I had "misplaced the first one
UNTIL LAST NIGHT!!!!
WOW! There it was...VIRGIN...AND UNWRAPPED and looking great. No kinks or wrinkles...PRISTEEEEEN' After all these years. Humm???

As we speak, I am mounting this one up in a picture-frame. The cover is beautifully posed and photographed. Gee, they don't make wonderful ARTZIE COVERS LIKE THIS ONE TODAY..!!!
The Schilke bunch should have this one. What a picture this should make hanging on my studio wall. But how unworthy a find for such an old toot, MightyBad Don???

Any one have similar farvorite old album covers or recordings???

I even found a really pristeen looking old Phil Driscol long play with a REALLY UP CLOSE (SIDE VIEW-UP "IN YOUR FACE" photo with the label Giad' clearly stamped onto the mp. The leadpipe of the horn looks really, really...too weak and almost non-discript. The horn then must be a Commitee???
Hey, Any of you Dricoll fans (and heruuu' Phil worshipers)...
E mail me
and I'll send this one out to the first taker..and I'll even pay the postage???Opps??? (That offer is even open to our Mighty Dr. Good Schmidt.

Naturally the cover and record have been handled, and played a few doz. times...aside from a little record dust and an .80 cents sticker from Valu-Vaulyea' it is actually in very good shape.

( I found it about a doz. year ago (maybe) at a Goodwill store. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT...PHIL, IS PLAYING MOSTLY "UNPLUGGED ON THIS ONE?" Also the inside Photo of Phill....is a really really really CLOSE UP! SHOWING EVERY HAIR FOLL' AND PIMPLE...aaaaaah, that is really toooooooooooo much information. Yuk! ))

The UnMighty Don after wun...
MightyDon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh.....
Remember this album "IS NOT SOLD IN ANY STORES"

BUT WAIT...THERE IS MORE.....!!!!
IT COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRENTEEEEEE' but of course it also comes with Blessings...but no prayer cloth. OK???
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don!

Gee, I couldn't resist reading what you had to say about the virgin Wynton record you just got.

Gosh, I figured you as a less noble dude . . . thinking you'd rush home with that baby, rip 'er protective cover off and . . . well, you know . . . do what most people do to their virgin records! Good for you!

Yeah, when Wynton was just getting started he was as poor and the next guy. I saw him as a young, 19-year old player at a master class one time. His Bb then was a Strad MLV Model 65 . . . a dark sounding horn if you ever heard one He talked about how much he liked that model. This raised a few eyebrows in a place where trumpet majors were programmed to play ML 37s.

Movin' on to your favorite trumpet man, I believe P.D. was using the Besson Meha LB at the time of the "I Exalt Thee" recording you mentioned . . . complete with the big Giardinelli mouthpiece, although the horn might have been a Benge--not enough to tell.

Naw, I don't need the record (I have one that is a "near virgin," whatever THAT means), but I do think it was one of his best albums.

Yup, Phil was photographed in full, medium-format camera detail on that one. I'm disappointed in him today for one reason (that young listeners don't know about) . . . but back then Phil only had a head of hair on the back half of his head, sort of like the area covered by the hood of a parka.

Back then, when I played a Christian concert and people started talking about Phil (which they usually did), I'd make an excuse for not playing that high. I'd say, "My momma won't let me play that high."

When someone "bit" and asked me why I made that statement, I'd say, "Momma said if I play that high my hair will fall out and I'd look like bozo the clown!"

Now . . . he has a full head of hair, looks younger than before . . . and still wails! Me, I keep losing a little more of mine, I look . . . well . . . OLDER. Thank God for Superchops, for all is not worse!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
MightyDon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny story, Tom!!
More I look at that leadpipe, what there is of IT????..Yeh! It does appear to be the Meha-ha-ha!

Too many high notes...MAKES YER LOCKS' DROP OUT???

Your MOMMIE HAD GREAT ADVICE...))
Here goes..
That photo of our beloved Phil..does kinda look like my brother....BOZO ))
I WONDER IF LAYING ON OF HANDS ON THE SHINEEEE' PARTS OF MY NOGGIN???~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOT???? However I would bet that Phil's hair dresser and Dr.Transplantation ,may only know for sure.

Keep hammerin' on that big "Flippin'Kanstul-WThing!"

Still no takers on my slightly used and abused .80 cent ValueVillage find???????????...
(Come On Gang???) even my postage to you or yours out there will run about $4.00 or more these days.
NOT TO WORRY ABOUT THE DUST that is imbedded on this old 33..(WELL, I DON'T KNOW?? Maybe there is a problem???

In those days you neva' knew what kind of toxicdust was in the air???) Especially on this old Phil record.
Truthfully, the cover is in a lot better shape than the old dusty record inside. I tried cleaning it with the dredges from my Bud light Bottle..but to no avail...I think this was playing on my turn-table...while I was muddin' wall board and hadn't been cleaned for over a decade or so.
YA GET WHUT YA PAY FOR AND FER' WHUT' YA' REEEEEEEEEAP!!! Hummmmmmmmmmm?
Tom and Gang!
I enjoy hearing stories like Tom (especially about Wynton's old Dark 65??? BACH???? Shows ya how little I know about BACH-A-HOLICS??? Believe me when I say....I have played a few Bach's to die FOR...AND THEN...OTHERS....that SIMPLY JUST NEEDED KILLIN' BARE-AZZ-BRASS DEAD!!! My old ML #37 was a really mean and nasty brittle piece of that was thankfully STOLEN OUTTA MY CAR!!! NOW THAT WAS A BLESSING..NAAAA...SIMPLY AN OLD BACH STRAD FROM HELL...Kinda like an old girl friend of mine...SHE WAS BEAUTIFUL...SOO INVITING...BUT MEAN AND NASTIER AND CRANKIER' THAN HELL!!!!

)) Just kiddin'
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.

If it was the record where he plays the hummel, haydn and L. Mozart, then its a schilke Eb he is holding...sorry, had to be picky!
MightyDon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-18 11:12, big brian wrote:
Hey.

If it was the record where he plays the hummel, haydn and L. Mozart, then its a schilke Eb he is holding...sorry, had to be picky!

When you think about it..that larger horn should be an Eb, huh???!!!!
(should have guessed it when looking at the tuning slide)...opps..but the bottom of the insign. looked like Bach tooling...and thanks for the clarification.
The valve caps etc. just didn't appear to look quite right to be a Schilke?
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.

Sorry again about being picky. Yeah, the schilke should look like that, as it has the same felts/valve caps as the picc, if you look closely. I have both schilke's Eb and picc, and the caps are the same on all schilkes. Also, it doesnt have a tuning slide, the leadpipe goes straight into the 3rd valve without break, and the trumpet is tuned from the bell.(again, I'm sorry Im picky!)

Brian
MightyDon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-19 13:42, big brian wrote:
Hey.

Sorry again about being picky. Yeah, the schilke should look like that, as it has the same felts/valve caps as the picc, if you look closely. I have both schilke's Eb and picc, and the caps are the same on all schilkes. Also, it doesnt have a tuning slide, the leadpipe goes straight into the 3rd valve without break, and the trumpet is tuned from the bell.(again, I'm sorry Im picky!)

Brian

True..that is the "tuning slide" that I was referring to (on the bell)...that is why I thought the larger horn was another brand and not the Schilke like the Schilke Picc and I couldn't see the 'flats' on the caps, either..hummmmm???

I'd bet Bri...that you are really good when comparing those cartoons in the paper that depict two photos...and one is suppose to find the number of differences from one drawing to the other??? ))
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I am actually!
MightyDon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-21 12:07, big brian wrote:
Lol, I am actually!

Yep..Brian!!!
I can plainly see the Schilke caps...
The MightyBlind Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: