• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just got back from playing an Independence Day Celebration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesstewart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Just got back from playing an Independence Day Celebration Reply with quote

I joined my community band in Feb 2006. We just played 24 songs during a local Independence Day celebration. We played for about 45 minutes, had 30 minute rest then played 8 songs with the local choir and then patriotic songs during the fireworks. It was announced that we had over 35,000 in attendance. I am so glad I started playing again, I did not know it until now that I actually missed playing all those 32 years. I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Oh, I forgot I am worn out.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations... that's a HUGE crowd. Glad you had fun... nothing like patriotic music to stir the soul and wear out the chops, eh?
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTG Jeff!!!

The local civic band in Casper, WY has no room for another trumpet. Kind of a drag because I was looking forward to it a bit.

Keep us posted on the good things going on!

Richard Oliver
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, I'm glad you said that. (Sorry for the thread hijack, Wes.)

My trumpet teacher suggested I join a local community band. I happen to know that both of the bands that are options in my area have ten trumpets each... I just don't see that as being that fulfilling or being a situation where I'm going to learn that much. I get a group playing opportunity at the church (learning to listen, balance, exposure to literature, etc.) and have not been shy about initiating duets with other trumpet players I know.

I have another lesson Friday... we'll see if he brings it up again.
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies too Wes. I mixed up you and Jeff. Despite my incompetence, congrats to both of you. And yes, Jeff, I think you're onto the right path. Find cats who want to play. Heck, I'd be happy and pig in slop reading down hymns and filling the 4 voices.

Happy Practicing,

Richard Oliver
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Church music Reply with quote

Reading from a hymnal is my normal form of chop builder, transposing into concert pitch on the fly. This is helping to build my ancient chops and exercise my brain. The major point that I now attempt to make is that you should not turn down an opportunity for a trumpet trombone duet,( euphonium/baritone horn ). A trio of the above also goes over well with the congregation, either as accompaniment to the song service or for a special music offering. It's all good!

OLDLOU>>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: