• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I saw Terrence Blanchard yesterday

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great concert...He can really play, he did an amazing version of "I Thought About You". I don't totally remember who he played with on this particular gig but Aaron Parks played piano. I was, honestly, pretty disappointed in Aaron's playing, but this isn't about the piano it was about Terrence and he played great. His tone is very soulful and he played some beautiful double G's and F-sharps. It was pretty neat, if you think his recordings are impressive wait until you see him in person.
stukvalve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, give aaron some time. dude is only 19.... and about to do some recording for blue note. i aint got nothin to say about him except watch out.

terrence has some slick arrangements man! i heard him at the senator in toronto, i heard both sets. i thought the whole band played great ... made me remember why i wanted to play jazz!

matzentrpt@hotmail.com
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Aaron Parks still needs that much development, he should concentrate on that rather than recording. If it's to make some money, then he's being sort of exploited. I am fully aware he's only 19 but I've played with pianists who are better than he is and are merely 17 or 18, they might not be graduating college already and they might not have the performing experience with Mr. Blanchard but they're better technically and have more to say. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, please recognize that, but I must express that after all the fuss I heard people making over him like he was the jazz version of Beethoven I was disappointed when I heard him.

Anyway, aside from talking down on Aaron...I met Terrence and Quincy Troupe yesterday and talked music with them, and they're both real cool...It's always nice to talk to the people who make the music you listen to and write the books that you read. Terrence talked about some of the films he liked and some he didn't like, all of which he wrote the film scores for. Man, it's amazing how many film scores this guy his done, he even did Next Friday with Ice Cube and Jacob Vargas (ese)
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Aaron when Terrance came to Blues Alley and I think he sounded pretty good. They performed one of his compositions (I don't remember the name) and it was a real burner. On that particular song he soloed very well.

On the other songs I was too mesmerized by Terrance to notice anything else. I agree 110% - he is THE MAN. His playing is fantastic but talk about a great composer?? It shows in his improvisation as he has the ability to find the "hidden" notes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: