• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Basic Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ptollemy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everyone,

I've heard the term a lot but not sure what it is, so could someone please explain what a "pedal tone" is please?

With thanks,
Morgana
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgana,
The pedal tone dates back at least to Baroque (1600-1750) polyphonic organ works in which a sustained bass tone would sometimes be employed as a device for heigthening tenson within a piece of music. The organ's pedal would merely be depressed for this effect as more active moving music parts were played against and in combination with the tone. Since organ pedals are used for this effect, the device became known as a "pedal tone", even if, for example, the technique is used in other compositions that do not include organs.
Larry Smithee

[ This Message was edited by: Larry Smithee on 2003-02-05 22:00 ]
shinytrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedal tones are the pitches below the low F#. These are great exerices to do daily, they help establish your focus on sustained air. Fingerings are the same as the octave above. My uncle (playing lead trumpet for the Westpoint Band back in his days) told me that if you want the higher notes, perfect the lower register first! Pedal tones are great for this. Pick up a Claude Gordon study, and especially the James Stamp study. It keeps your embrochure consistent. Hope this helps a little bit! Best of luck!

Play on,

Matthew
MA Music Therapy & Counseling
shinytrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, beat me to the punch Larry. There ya have it...the history as well as the technical aspects, although I'm sure there's someone out there that can tell ya even more than what I can. But that's how we all learn and becomes individuals...from talking with others and utilizing those experiences! (Sorry to stray from topic...just got back from a philosophy seminar. )

~ Matt
Ptollemy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, muchly appreciated

Morgana
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must play devil's advocate here, Morgana. Not all teachers/players like pedal tones. I'm of undecided,completely neutral opinion myself, but I've been researching it awhile. I can't personally say exactly in what manner, but I believe Doc Reinhardt was rather opposed to pedal tone study.
I hope I didn't add to any confusion.
John
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about my answer to your question, Morgana. I gave you a mostly useless historical answer to the question that you asked when clearly you were looking for a trumpet persepective. When I responded to you I had just come from a college-level music history class and, therefore, had history on the brain and not trumpet. Elbobogrande is correct when he suggests that pedal tone practice for trumpet players is a controversial issue.
Larry Smithee
shinytrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, that "useless historical answer" is not really useless at all! It's great to hear a historical aspect of the topic. Thank you for sharing the information.

As far as pedal tones go, I guess it's an individual preference. I've warmed up and warmed down with pedal tones for quite some time now, and they help my embrochure remain set and my aperture steady. It keeps a focused sound, because down there it requires a higher intensity of focus and air flow. This greatly increases my accuracy in remaining strong throughout multiple registers without having to "change" my embrochure. If someone says it doesn't help...well, it can't hurt!

~ Matthew
musicmonkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,
I also appreciated the history lesson. Informative, but not too long. Maybe there should be a history forum here...

mm
nickyboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a question to add to it What is a good way to hit ped. tones mine sound all staticy and bad
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,
I also learned from your history lesson, and for that I thank you heartily.
John
shinytrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be estatic if there was a history forum!! I'm sure it would make players like me (and I'm sure others out there also) become more well-rounded in all aspects of trumpet playing.

As for your question, Nick, it's quite possible that you're not putting enough hot, "round" air through the horn. Think of filling that bell up with more air than you possibly can imagine. When I first started out, it was a very thin, dry sound. Once I learned to drop the jaw, open up the aperture, and blow as much air as possible through the trumpet, that's when the notes started to get full and clear. I wouldn't suggest pivoting to get there...that I'm unsure about (I'd rather maintain a steady lip). I started out using the "ha" attack (instead of "ta" or anything else) until I got more accustomed to the feel, then added a stronger attack. Yet above all, keep on hacking away at it daily! Developing a good sound takes a good amount of time, probably the same amount as developing a firm high register. Hope this helps!

~ Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: