• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Am I right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been unable to get to the horn for some time and probably won't be able to do any significant practice until midterms are over. Would I be right in saying that I should be doing the trio of daily calisthenics?

-Brendan
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right, Brendan. In fact, when I do those every day (including days when I am able to practice, about 364 days a year, usually), they also help a great deal.

There's also the mouthcorner drill that Doc gave me later. In that drill, you form your lips as if to buzz, but don't buzz and just hold your lips in that position as long as you can without experiencing strain.

Doc always said, "Nothing can be accomplished by straining." Several shorter installments a day without strain are far more beneficial than one huge strain-filled session of calesthenics in a day.

Who's next for our man Brendan, here?

Rich
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the Daily Trio. In fact Doc says at the end of the first paragraph that "These drills should be a daily occurrence for your entire playing life and this is stated without exaggeration". He goes on to talk about firming your corners in and against your teeth as another calisthenic which Rich mentioned. I do these DAILY on different stretches of road to and from my studio. I have found this extremely beneficial in developing strong mouth corners as well as a strong jaw.

Since I believe Brendan is a Type IV, I will recommend what Chris LaBarbera recommended to me. It comes from the Roy Stevens manual (a strictly Type IV manual if you want to check it out) which is the "Air to Nose" excercise. Dave Sheetz recommended, also from the same book, the "Normal to Frown" excercise which strengthens the chin area as well as increasing lip compression.

"Wherever you go....there you are."
Buckaroo Bonzai

[ This Message was edited by: scream on 2003-02-12 08:58 ]
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trio or should I say quartet ? if you include the drill Rich talks about are a must. (especially buzzing)
I have been doing them every day for many years.
Rich is correct about what Doc said in regards to strain.
WEG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: