• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

One Hour Brass Clinic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, all!

Today I was able to give a one hour brass masterclass to our high school honor band students. I basically took them through some standard technical studies like basic long tones, lip flexibilities, range extension exercises and tonguing exercises. I did not cover the Pivot System at all.

What I want to know is if/how I could develop this masterclass into something that covers the Pivot System? What do you mention? What do you just avoid all together? What are the bare essentials that you would cover and what can be glossed over?

Or, is this just too complex a system to even attempt with a group in one hour?

Thanks,
Dave
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Dave Wilken and anyone addressing a group of high school brass students (What an opportunity!) Giving a master class on the Pivot System...in one hour! Wow, that's very simple...a thorough knowledge of The Encyclopedia of The Pivot System (once again, This Book has answers!)shows that this opportunity is not only quite simple and cut and dry, it is also a subtle way to teach The Pivot System (forget the Pivot here for this hour). I am referring to 4 pages in The Encyclopedia that will "blow them away". Pages 185 thru the top of page 187. Read the students the rules (points)without saying why they are true and spend the rest of the hour on the last point, which is, "The initial lesson should at least include the following mechanical points: a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i, and j." Leave them with a-j to take home with and be able to enact. Probably the most important thing will be how to enact the slur and to learn the SpiderWeb Warmup. Let them ask questions at the end or after the class.
This hour will be a great way to teach the Pivot System and never even mention the Pivot!
Like I said, "What an opportunity" to get away from the long tone approach, blah,blah,blah and into a dynamic way to develop the embouchure!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: