• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How slow is slow for flexibility studies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning,
I am about 2 months into my comeback (6 yrs. off). I think I'm progressing pretty well. I just got a couple of books on flexibility studies from my wife on Valentine's Day. I don't think she's hinting that I need to practice more. Anyway, I am asthmatic. I have been all of my life. I do recall having to adjust phrasing in the past in order to complete certain passages that I just didn't have enough lung capacity to complete in one breath (both in playing and in singing). In playing a 6 whole note lip slur warmup - the instruction says to play slow. How slow is good. I think what I'll do is add or subtract measures depending upon my lung capacity. Any other recommendations?
Thanks,
NMex
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say slow is quarter note at 60 -72 beats per minute. However, I would suggest you breathe if you are running out of air, as I do not think anything productive comes from playing on less than the lower third of your air capacity. This is usually when we start to use unnecessary pressure and create stress not wanted in playing. Congrats on getting back to the horn.
Best wishes,
1B
JeroenJongeling

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just play the slurred warm up in a tempo that you can play it in, without having to breath. Breathing in a slurred drill means, you might not really play the drill as it was intended for. Playing it a little faster is less harmfull for the exercise. Expanding your lungcapacity is maybe a good point to focus on in your practice. Once you've expanded your lungcapacity, you won't have problems with this. I hope this advice works for you. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: