• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip Trills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkjazz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day I read about someone doing lip trills with their tongue. I can only assume by raising and lowering their tongue. I cannot do this. My jaw moves and my lips roll in and out.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

jk
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know what it is... not usefull that much, but fun! I used to do that when I was a flutist, and than, on trumpet, i'm able to do it! none of the 5 others trumpeters in my school class can do it!

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told to use the tounge, and try to use it in combination with a rapid chewing movement of my jaw. I have seen a lot of guys use excessive pressure and shake the horn. I would think that can't be good and as long as you weren't doing that you've got a head start. I got started doing lip trills by doing lots and lots of lip slurs. If you really woodshed on it, I mean really work at keeping your jaw still and concentrating on the tounge doing the work it should get better. Practice with a mirror to observe any quirks and work on fixing them.
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the way I do it is pretty simple...you remeber when you were kids? Doing this machine gun sound with your tongue? talatalatalatalatalatalata... You know? Well it is the same thing, but while buzzing!

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip trill +Tongue trill + Shakes + Hand vibrato

I first noticed this [like Jimmy Maxwell] listening to Louis Armstrong who on a big vibrato broke into a shake. Whether he came upon this by accident or design is kind of irrelevant.

SHAKES / HAND VIBRATO

...start with learning to control a hand vibrato on middle c...slowly move the whole hand [with the wrist stationary] back and forth. we will eventually make this into a shake on a higher note...but for now learn to control that hand vibrato. ..got that?..good...all it does is bounce the horn very GENTLY against the lip in order to set up pulsations. You should not be able to see your hand move---MOVE THE HORN. This will not be accomplished overnight..talke your time and don't hurt yourself...NOW...take an F# on the top line of the staff and play it with 123 fingerings...and create the same HAND vibrato...then do it a little quieter [mezzopiano] with a bigger breath for air support and roll the tongue a little forward till the note breaks to the next harmonic...THERE YOU GOT IT--- A SHAKE!!!

The Lip Trill I prefer to think of as a Tongue trill.

TONGUE TRILLS

...take an F# on the top line of the staff [mezzopiano] and play it with 123 fingerings, big breath for air support and without changing your lip position raise you tongue higher in your mouth with an aim of creating a speed ramp for the air to ride up like a skateboarder ascending his jump-ramp. Raise the tongue --- TAW--OH--- till the note breaks to the next harmonic and let it fall back down...THERE YOU GOT IT--- A TRILL!!! --take a bigger breath and repeat ad-nauseum. If you find it hard, you ain't got enough air support / close enough lip position in the mpc / or the cat has gotten your tongue!

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: