• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Top lip for Type IIIA/Wind Down Routine for all types

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a trombone student, a Type IIIA, who is getting a double buzz while playing compression work. It's actually a kind of cool effect, with the extra buzz being an octave below. He tells me that the extra buzz is coming from his top lip.

I had him work on getting his lips set in buzzing firmness prior to placing the mouthpiece, but this didn't really help. I'm guessing that it may be caused in a large part to fatigue, but I wanted to double check and see if this is a problem anyone has had or seen before and if there's anything else he should be trying.

Also, many of my students cannot do the Wind Down (low chromatics for trumpets, pedal tones for trombones) if they place the mouthpiece with the lips set for buzzing firmness, a proper mouth corner inhalation, and don't drop the jaw. Should I instruct these students to A) Make their best effort and it will gradually improve as their skills improve, B) Do a Wind Down that's not so low, say doing the low chromatics starting up a perfect 5th, C) Do their Wind Down and allow them to "cheat" a bit (I don't think so, but it is an option), or D) Something else entirely?

Thanks!

Dave
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave;
I hate to ask you this again, but can I see your IIIA trombone student in action?????????????
(Pivot Stabilizer and Track Routine)
Also an example of the "rattle".
WEG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: