• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Compression Techniques

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor_A

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I was wondering what you guys do to increase abdominal strength and to push air out of the lower abdominal area faster. Right now, when I try pushing air out, my upper body tenses up (especially my upper throat area) and I get barely any air out at all. My teacher tells me to think "OH" constantly when playing, but the syllable doesn't work at all when I try to push. This has made me resort to a front tongue method of increasing air speed but has limited me in a way: I cannot tongue in the upper register.
Is there anything specific you guys do?

Thanks,
Trevor
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
When you breath are you pushing your stomach out? When you inhale the area around the ribcage should expand, and when you exhale, it should tighten. I don't really do that much stomach flexing until I get to the G just above the staff, and that is in concert band. When I am in marching band, or playing high for a long time, my abs will get so sore I can't stand it. Try to keep a relaxed airstream. Don't underblow, or overblow, doing either one of these will cause the lips to have to overcompensate, thus tiring them more. Also, keep the corners firm.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-10-02 17:57 ]
Zaphod
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try to lift your chin, and push your jaw slightly forward, so your throat becomes open.
And don't think so much about "compression" - of course you are right, you have to compress, but try to THINK about blowing air THROUGH THE HORN, not only to raise the pressure inside your lungs. Push it OUT!
One cannot expect to attain the highest point of exellence without hard work and perseverance.[...] Try to improve to some extent each day and to experience that satisfying pleasure in having conquered what at first seemed to be an impossibility! - Clarke
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of different beliefs on this. The way I always was taught, and what I feel works best, is getting air in your upper chest area (near where the heart is, you know, that plate thing ). Also, a lot of compression actually comes from not only an abundant amount of freely flowing air, but smooth movement of the chops. Some say the air is the key to compression but I personally think that is false. The lip movement is what really does a lot. Once you get the compression you know your chops are probably in pretty good shape, especially if you can ascend. I don't believe in breathing from the abdomen, I believe in the upper area because that's where a lot of air and power comes from.
Garroid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem, and it was purely mental. Duh.

Think of blowing 'warm air' like you're trying to warm cold hands. This relaxed and simplified my breathing. Also when we try to play high, we think " here we go, time to play in the hard register" and we prepare to do something difficult. Try thinking - I'm just going to blow hard and relaxed and expect a blatty middle c to come out while at the same time doing everything else you do to play high as normal... I'm not sure I explained that clearly, but it may be fine. Email me for details...
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rely on two-stage breathing. To visualize this: Place one hand near your belly button, the other on your chest. Draw air in such a way so that the belly expand to its limit first, then expand your chest. Exhale in the opposite manner...
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts...

Thinking about compression, or anything else for that matter, can distract you from free blowing. The simplist method to start is first ensure you're taking a full breath, then aim at a spot across the room when blowing, or think about blowing out a candle. The higher you want to play, the further away the "mental candle" should be. This will automatically cause your breathing aperatus to squeeze, causing compression required for that note. I've also recently discovered that rolling my pelvis foward, kinda like flattening out your gut for that washboard effect, puts your muscles in a better position to squeeze.

As for tonguing in the upper register, I suggest you explore K-tongue modified in the Claude Gordon Forum. I posted a response to a current thread that includes links to other writing that goes into detail on the benefits. For me, it puts the tongue in the optimal position for each note, and makes upper register much easier since there's not as much movement required to articulate a note.

Good Luck.

Schilke 15a4 - 23 Throat
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra

[ This Message was edited by: MF Fan on 2003-02-25 08:11 ]
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stand in front of a mirror, without a shirt on, but be careful cos' if the wife catches you like this you WILL be expected to perform-heheh! Put your hands high on your sides, take a breath and feel your hands expanding out with the breath. Then count slowly releasing your air (1, 2, 3, ...) as soon as you're completely out of air, take another huge breath. Keep watching yourself in the mirror. The first day you may be able to get up to 15 or 16, by the end of the week, your up to 25, 30, 35, 40, some up to 50 and 60. This is only a breathing exercise and not a trumpet playing technique, in playing only take enough air in to play a phrase. Repeat this breathing exercise for ten minutes a day.

..more info in my book...

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A similar exercise is found in Claude Gordon's "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing." This is a great book, and I believe still costs under $10. It very interesting reading, and includes medically sound insights on breathing for brass playing. Claude had a knack for keeping his students focused on what's important, vs. getting too wrapped up in complex techniques, or 'tricks' that distract from the task at end, putting air through your horn. I strongly suggest you buy this book. I believe it will directly address your questions.

If it's not available locally, you can order it directly from http://www.claudegordonmusic.com
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: